Chapter 14- Emerald city [Vikk]

I swing my sword down, slicing across the chest of a zombie. It falls to its knees, and I run ahead to catch up with the guys. We're out hunting, just me, Mitch, Mat and Brayden. At the moment we're in some sort of forest, however the trees here are so big its like we're in a jungle with no vegetation at ground level. I have full leather armour, and iron boots. Rob, back at the cabana, should be crafting together some more iron gear now for us.

We trudge slowly through the woods, killing all the mobs we come across, with a combination of bow shots and sword chops. Brayden is our scout, he keeps watch for monsters up front that we can kill. Mitch and mat are the main tanks, and I bring up the rear defence, so we're pretty safe.

Brayden calls to us from a small hill.

"Guys! You need to check this out!"

We scramble up the dirt bank to see what he's talking about. In the valley below us, an incredible emerald structure rises up, towers searing into the skies. The emeralds glisten in the light, though further down, shadows begin to creep up around the base of the structure. We start to step closer, down into the mysterious valley.

"This is... amazing..." I hear Mitch say from beside me. Brayden scampers ahead, peering around corners and climbing onto small dirt patches.

"Guys, there doesn't seems to be any monsters at all, we should be safe to go in to the main area."

We follow him past tall green pillars and into the main body of the clearing. On three of the four sides, emerald pillars surround the area, casting huge shadows. On the last side is a large dark gate, the entrance to what looks like a temple. Unease starts to build in my stomach.

"I don't think this is safe, Mat. We should probably go..."

I say, my voice echoing around the clearing. The others continue to stare.

"don't be such a wimp, Vikk. Lets go check it out!" Mitch says, and starts to stroll over to the large archway. Tendrils of shadow seem to crawl out from the gloom, and I feel darkness creep over the area. Although the sun is still up, it feels like night.

The hairs on the back of my neck rise. I glance towards the others. Then I see it. Red, glowing eyes, hiding in the shade. I call out a warning, and they turn to me, just as the monsters attack.

Instantly, we are overwhelmed. At least a hundred creatures have launched themselves at our small group, snarling and growling. We start to run, away from the archway, but more appear at our sides.

"Keep running!"

We dash across the clearing, swords swinging and clashing. The large emerald pillars that were once beautiful are now dangerous obstacles. Brayden has his bow out, and is clearing the path ahead for us. Instinctively, I turn and bring up my sword just as giant spider rams into me, pushing me down. It's knocked back, but I'm losing precious seconds in scrambling to my feet. The others are metres ahead, still fighting their way through the hoards. A zombie attacks me, and I barely have time to react to it when another comes up from behind me.

"Vikk!" I look up, seeing Brayden. He's stopped running, firing arrows back at the zombies who are attacking me. I fight my way through them and run to him. He yells something to me, and fires another shot, still facing my way.

"Brayden! Behind yo- BRAYDEN!" I scream, watching in horror as five zombies pounce on him at once. Immediately he goes down, the zombies ripping at his skin.

I dash over, trying to help, but Mitch grabs me from behind.

"Vikk, we have to go. If we stay here, more monster will come and we'll all die."

I hear Brayden scream. It's cut off short.

Mitch looks at me and we run. As soon as we get to the sunlight, the mobs veer away, satisfied with one kill.

"Oh my god. Brayden!"

I hear Mat say beside me. He's looking back into the clearing. The creatures are disappearing back into the shadows, leaving Brayden's body lying there on the stone. In the few minutes the monsters have had, they shredded up his armour and decimated his body, leaving splashes of blood all around him.

"Can't we go... say goodbye?"

I whisper.

"It's still too dangerous. We... we have to get back and break the news to Rob. I'm sorry, Vikk."

Mat says solemnly, before leading as back up the steep embankment. We don't say anything on the trek back. We don't need to.

*Authors note: Well, on a completely different note; Oh my gosh! One thousand reads? That is insane!! Thank you guys soooo much! I never thought my crappy writing would get this many reads, and i can't thank you guys enough! Okay, fangirl moment over :P *