2.1

CHAPTER ONE

Loki

- - - - -

"And there came a day, a day unlike any other, when Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Heroines found themselves united against a common threat. On that day, the Avengers were born to fight the foes no single superhero could withstand. Through the years, their roster has prospered, changing many times, but their glory has never been denied. Heed the call, then for now the Avengers Assemble!"

NEW MEXICO
USA

"You know Coulson, those shades really suit you."

"Thank you, they're new."

Ana stood next to her fellow agent, her hands clasped behind her straightened back. They were at the New Mexico facility where an evacuation was occurring when they heard the Tesseract was misbehaving. The power source was found just before the discovery of Captain America, who was frozen in the Artic. Since Ana studied American History in university, she knew all about the war hero. She also had to physically remove Phil from Captain Rogers' recovery room, his obsession made him open to watching the legend while he slept.

At the helicopter landing pad, Director Nick Fury and Agent Maria Hill stepped out of the copter, approaching the two agents. "How bad is it?" Fury asked the two, peering down at them with his right eye.

After sharing a look with Ana, Phil sighed out, "That's the problem, sir. We don't know." Ana led them into the internal facility floor as they discussed the issue. Many technicians and other staff ran around, taking only the essentials with them.

"Dr. Selvig read an energy surge from the Tesseract four hours ago." Phil informed the Director.

"NASA didn't authorise Selvig to test phase." Fury said with a shake of his head.

Maria Hill walked beside him as she watched Ana turn her head around, "He wasn't testing it, he wasn't even in the room." She shrugged a shoulder, "Spontaneous advancement." She said before turning her attention back to the front.

Maria blinked, "It just turned itself on?" She asked Ana in bewilderment, though her tone of voice was level.

Fury focused on Phil, "What are the energy levels now?" He asked cautiously. They didn't fully understand the power of the Tesseract, but they know it could cause catastrophic damage.

"Climbing. When Selvig couldn't shut it down, we ordered the evac."

Fury watched as many agents and scientists hurried along, carrying various cases. "How long to get everyone out?" He asked.

Ana helped an agent who dropped his cases, placing them on his cart with a smile. He nodded in thanks before hurrying down the hall. Phil mentally calculated the time and turned to his superior, "Campus should be clear in the next half hour." He nodded.

"Do better."

- - -