Chapter 27

"We're here!" Derek announced as he threw my hospital room door open. The doctor looked startled and ran his hand though his hair shakily. Derek snickered and I shoved him slightly.

"As I was saying, we have realized that the sooner Casey gets the surgery, the higher chance that it will actually work. I am about to offer you something that I don't usually do." The doctor said. Mom shifted impatiently in her seat.

"Well? What is it?" She asked. Chance chuckled and put a hand on her shoulder. Grant was sitting in my hospital bed, messing with the TV channels. "Grant. Stop messing with the TV." She reprimanded.

"I am offering her a chance to have the surgery tomorrow morning." The doctor stated. Chance furrowed his eyebrows. Grant, sensing the seriousness of the conversation, turned off the TV. Mom looked up worriedly.

"How much is this going to cost?"

"Don't worry about it." Chance cut off the doctor before he had a chance to respond. "All that matters is what Casey wants to do." I smiled at him, but Mom's question was going through my mind. Was I making an expensive decision? Derek squeezed my hand supportively.

"Tomorrow is the 16th, correct?" Derek asked. The doctor nodded his head. Derek nodded his head absentmindedly. "Well, that's great then!" He exclaimed. We all looked at him in confusion. He shrugged. The doctor soon left. Mom and Chance went to take Grant to get something to eat. The only ones left were Derek and I. My other friends decided to go home and sleep.

"So...what are you gonna do my fair maiden?" Derek asked. I shrugged and sighed. "Why don't you text me so you don't have to talk or waste trees?" He suggested. I smiled and nodded my head.

Casey: I want the surgery so bad but what if it causes financial issues? What if the surgery goes wrong and I get messed up even more?

"Oh Case, don't worry about the money! If you really want it, then we will all work out something. So many people love you and cherish you. You aren't messed up either. Just...blessed in a different way!" Derek responded. I sighed.

There's also the fact of Grant. What if something happens to me and he is virtually without an older sister. What then?

"Is that what you're afraid of?"

I nodded my head rapidly. I don't want Grant to lose me. Heck, I don't want anyone to lose me. Derek, Saylor, Haley, Lucy, Chase, Jake, Jason, Chance, Grant, Mom, or even Brett!

"Oh Case, don't worry about it. I'll make sure nothing happens to you ever!" Derek stated assuredly. I looked up at him.

You promise?

"Cross my heart."

Let me talk to Saylor, Haley, and Lucy about it too.

"Ok. I'm gonna go get some coffee or something so that I don't fall asleep." Derek left the room. I smiled softly and started a group conversation with the girls.

Casey: Ok guys, they offered for me to get the surgery tomorrow.

Saylor: OH COOL!

Lucy: That's fantastic! Jason agrees.

Haley: JUST LIKE IN MY BOOK!

Casey: What?

Haley: Nothing...

Casey: Anyway, there are some dangers to it and I don't know what to do about it...

Saylor: Casey, nothing is going to happen to you. There are dangers to walking across the street!