Got You

Princess Zelda had a busy week and wanted to get away before it could bury her.

Link stole her away, and they took Epona and rode to Lake Hylia. It only took them about a half hour to reach the lake, and when Link dismounted he helped Zelda down.

She could feel his strength from his grip, and he had a blush on his face as he held her. When her feet touched the ground, Link released his hold.

"Well Princess, what would you like to do?" he asked her with a smile.

Zelda smiled back. "Anything," she said, and her voice fell for a moment. She smiled again, shrugged off her bad thoughts, and ran towards the bank of the lake. She stopped just shy of the water touching her boots.

Instead of her heavy dress, Link had brought her a brown tunic that matched his. She had also abandoned her hooded cloak, so her hair was free to shine and dance in the light around the lake.

Link watched her while he stroked Epona's neck. He couldn't help but smile and think how lucky he was that she had wanted him to steal her away for the day.

His eyes drifted to a tree to the left of him down the bank of the lake. Its branches were perfect to climb, and that gave him an idea. "Princess!" he called down to her by the bank.

She looked up at him, then started to retreat back up the bank to join him.

"Yes, Link?" she asked, flashing a dazzling smile that almost made him forget what he was going to say.

"Uh..." He shook his head. "I was wondering if you'd ever climbed a tree."

She smiled again and shook her head. "Never. Is it fun?" she asked, tilting her head to the side.

Link motioned to her to follow him. "You'll have to see for yourself," he said as he walked over to the tree.

Zelda followed and stood below it, looking up with wide eyes. "Climb that? It's huge!"

Link laughed. "You wouldn't say that if you'd seen the Deku Tree. He was the largest tree I'd ever seen!" he replied, then jumped upwards, grabbing the lowest branch and swinging himself up to sit on it. "Ready to try?" he asked and gave her an encouraging smile.

Zelda nodded and looked up again. She eyed the branch that he had grabbed and jumped for it, but her fingers just barely grazed the underside. She was shorter than Link. Looking around, she made her way to the other side of the tree. Her face brightened when she saw a branch that was more her height. She grabbed it without the need to jump and pulled herself onto it but was at a loss what to do then.

"Where to go now?" she asked.

She was in the tree but there were no more branches within reach.

Link held out his hands.

She blushed and reached for him.

He grabbed her wrists and pulled her up.

"Congrats, you just climbed a tree," he said, and then laughed. "Getting into the tree is the hard part. Now we just climb the branches," he said, and then he continued to climb. He went slow and explained his moves so she could follow. "Put your foot there, yeah that's it, then reach up and grab this one..." It continued like that, and soon she needed no more help, though she was still slower at it than Link.

Once they reached the top she looked out and her eyes widened, "It's beautiful!" she said, a smiled lighting up her face once more.

Link didn't take his eyes off her as she marvelled at the sight. "Yeah..." he said.

She could see the lake and how tiny it looked compared to how large she knew it was. Then she spotted Epona from high up, and she seemed as small as an ant. She turned and looked the other way to see more.

After a time, she glanced back at him. "So, how do we get down?"

Link reached into his pouch and brought out the Deku Leaf. "Do you trust me?" he asked with a small smile.

Zelda nodded. "I trust you with my life."

He smiled once more. "Then hold onto me."

She swallowed and nervously wrapped her arms around his chest, and held on tight.

Link said, "hold on," one more time and jumped from the tree.

Zelda whooped, her hair streaming behind her. The free fall was exhilarating; it made her feel alive.

At the last possible moment Link used the Deku Leaf and they slowed their descent in the air. They drifted down the rest of the way and then touched down softly. A few seconds later and Zelda still hung on tight to him, her eyes squeezed shut.

Link smiled. "Princess, we're on the ground," he said.

"Oh," she said, but her arms did not loosen. "I'm not going to let go until you call me Zelda." She tightened her grip.

He grinned. "Fine with me, guess I won't say it," he teased. He swung her up in his arms, taking hold of her legs bridal style and ran out along the side of the lake.

She squealed and laughed, moving her arms around his neck and held on tight, fearing he would drop her accidentally.

Link tried playfully to pry her away from him as he ran.

"Oh no you don't," Zelda cried and jabbed her heel into his side, and they toppled to the ground. Link tried again to pry her away again and she let go. Both her hands holding down his shoulders, and her knees pinned him to the ground, she said, "Got you."

Link had only partially let her win, she was pretty good. His heart beat faster as she grew near, that grin on her beautiful face.

He quickly and easily rolled over on top of her. He grinned as she leaned up and blushed as her nose brushed against his. He put his hand on her cheek. "Got you, Zelda."

Zelda blinked in surprise. That was the first time he'd called her by her name. He always called her Princess. Without thinking, she leaned forwards and kissed him.

It was Link's turn to blink in surprise as she pulled away, then he smirked. "If I'd known that was the effect it could have I would have called you Zelda much sooner."

Zelda sat up and rolled her eyes at his words. She leaned closer. "It won't always work like that."

Link smiled. "For special occasions then, Princess," he said and then closed the distance between their lips again.