Chapter 2

Dahra hurried through the bustling crowds, clasping her freezing hands at her front. Her heavy, grey cloak protected her from the worst of the cold, but she was still shivering. She looked up, through the flurry of snow, and spotted her quarry. The elderly woman was standing stoically in front of her shop, advertising her wares loudly. Very few people stopped to have a look, and Dahra didn't blame them. Nobody wanted to be outside when the storm really began, and a few trinkets weren't going to keep them from their families and a warm fire.

"Excuse me, Mrs. Jarris?" Dahra called tentatively. The woman looked around for the voice's owner, but there were many hooded people on the street.

"Mrs. Jarris," Dahra freed herself from the herd of shoppers and stepped inside. She tugged her hood down to reveal her identity, and the shopkeeper stepped back.

"Lady Dahra! What are you doing out here?"

"I'm getting some material for Lola," the girl picked the fabric from the shelf as she spoke. "She says that you have the best silk."

"Couldn't Lola collect her own silk? Surely it's not a befitting chore for you, Miss?"

The girl shrugged, and put the load onto the counter. "I don't mind. Lola does more for me than I do for her."

The lady looked slightly sceptical, and her scepticism was rightly founded. "Maids are supposed to do that, Lady Dahra."

Mrs. Jarris checked the labels and prices before returning the cloth. "Four silver coins, please."

Dahra handed over the money. "Thank you, Mrs. Jarris."

She pulled her hood back over her long hair before stepping back out of the cosy shop. Despite her wish to stay away from home for as long as possible, if she was caught in the midst of a violent storm, there would be no opportunity to return at all. It was easier to move when the streets had cleared, so she ran along the paths.

Dahra rarely got the chance to explore the city freely, so she slowed to admire the sights. Many of the buildings were made of solid ice; towering buildings that spiralled into the sky. The less interesting buildings were made of stone or metal, but they were undoubtably sturdier. Dahra smiled in disbelief at some of the ridiculous buildings that had been erected recently. From what she had heard, the Ice Domain had the most daring architecture of all nations.

She had to remove her hood for a second time, so that the guards posted at the palace gates could recognise her. In synchronisation, both men swept their gloved hands through the air in a slicing motion. The ice gates creaked open, and Dahra watched admiringly as the men returned to their original positions. She enjoyed watching Wielding displays, no matter how trivial the task. The majority of the city's population were Ice-Wielders, and in the ever-snowy climate, those powers were incredibly useful.

The girl squinted up at the palace as she neared the entrance. Somewhere in there, Kiaran was sitting in a meeting. A war meeting. She didn't know what Queen Yana was discussing, but it couldn't have been good. All day meetings tended to be scheduled when something had gone wrong, and Queen Yana didn't like it when things went wrong.

She dropped the fabric off in Lola's room. The maid was sleeping in her armchair comfortably, with her magenta creation draped over her lap. Dahra didn't want to disturb her, so she walked onwards quickly. She had to talk to Kiaran. She tried to form the confrontation in her mind, but each time it felt terrible. How could she bring up the topic at all? She could see his wide grin being wiped off his face everytime she tried to picture the conversation.

'Hey, Kiaran. My maid said that you were going to propose to me when we come of age. She also said that everbody knows. I didn't get the message.'

Subtle. She shuddered when she imagined his response. Dahra stopped outside the ornate silver doors, and sat down on the waiting bench. She could hear... jeering. The meeting sounded very rowdy compared to any other she had known. Not that she would have known. She had never been to one. Bella, Ansel and Maya had told her that they were very interesting, but Dahra couldn't take their word for it. Those three girls had unwavering concentration and a knack for military strategy. She could not believe that Maya was only eleven. Even Bella was almost a year younger than her, at fifteen.