Chapter Nine: Receptions and Runaways

The sun was slowly setting on the horizon as the Final Year students bursted out of Winter Academy's gates. The boys were holding the arms of smiling girls as they made their way through the snow towards Summer Academy. I watched from a window inside the school as a variety of silver and blue dresses brushed across the frosted ground below me. I tugged at my own dress self-consciously.

It was strapless with a deep, indigo color, and floated down to my ankles. My dress wasn't sparkly or decked out with glitter like the other dresses belonging to most girls, it was plain and tasteful. But I still hated wearing it. I felt exposed, and I longed to peel it off and dash to my room to pull on my leather pants and armor. But I had stashed all of my best fighting clothes in a fancy bag strung over my shoulder, along with other supplies that I would need. My ice sword was strapped to my leg underneath my long dress, almost invisible under the purple fabric. I felt comfort in it's cool presence on my skin.

I knew that I needed to blend in at this party, so I had the shopkeeper also style my hair all nice so that it was curled on top of my head, strands falling down and framing my face in silver rivulets. I denied wearing heels, though. I wore my same boots as always.

I gazed down the hallway, my silver earrings whipping side to side. The corridors were mostly deserted with the exception of a few stranglers rushing outside to the reception. I let out a slow breath and casually walked to a flight of stairs. I spiraled up up and up, my boots clomping on the frozen steps. Finally I had reached the topmost tower in the academy. I had also reached the armory. The armory was locked behind a heavy, thick door, surrounded by two bored looking guards.

I decided to trick them with one of the oldest tactics in the book. A diversion. Creeping away from the armory, I reached into my bag and pulled out a box of matches. I was able to bribe Noel to lend me some, and I was happy now as I fished one out of the box. I scraped it against the side and it ignited with fire. I stared at the flame, a slow smile spreading across my face. I dropped the match on one of the decorative wood tables crafted by the tree elves. Instantly, it burst into flames, and I snatched the match away so that there would be no evidence left behind.

Plastering my best worried expression on my face, I dashed around the corner towards the guards. They both straightened immediately, their hands reaching for their swords.

"Fire!" I cried. "There's a fire!"

I watched as the guards' eyes widened in surprise.

"Where?" They asked in unison.

I pointed down the hall. "I think one of the tables over there went up in flames!"

I watched as the guards sprinted around the corner, and I waited until I heard shouting.

"We need to get some water to put this thing out!" One yelled. Two pairs of footsteps thudded down the stairs.

I let out a breath of relief, but I couldn't contain a small chuckle. I approached the armory door, but just as I whipped my sword out from under my dress, I hesitated. I thought of the consequences. When I came back here, if I even came back here alive without any luck of finding the human children, Headmaster Terron would surely expel me. I thought of my career as a royal knight being sucked down the drain. I knew that things would be even worse if I was caught. But if I managed to free the children, to stop the master, maybe it would be all worthwhile.

I squared my shoulders. I made a promise to avenge Nicholas, to make The Master pay. I made a promise to Tyler, to find him and save him. I couldn't break those promises. This was all worth more than me, it was bigger than me. If I failed, this could be the end of the faerie realm as I knew it.