70

Steve

I stand in the quinjet, ready to leave. Every Avenger inside stands near me, ready to go. We are all in our normal clothes, not needing to be in our uniforms. I grip my shield, waiting anxiously.
I feel the quinjet shift, coming close to S.H.I.E.L.D. headquarters. My heart flutters. Almost two long weeks away from Tori are finally coming to a close.
"Ready everyone?" Tony asks through the intercoms.
We all nod, even though we are fully aware that he can't see us. I feel us hit the ground, the quinjet slowly shutting off. I rush through the doors, watching the hatch slowly open. Wind still swirls around the aircraft, still in the process of landing.
I get a glimpse of agents coming toward us, ready to greet us. A familiar figure stands out from the crowd: a woman with brunette hair wearing a black sweater and jeans.
Before the hatch touches the ground, I'm sprinting as fast as I can. I jump to the ground, which is just a foot below me. She runs toward me too, her hair flowing behind her.
I drop my shield next to me when Tori wraps her arms around me. I put my arms around her, not letting her go. She lifts her head and presses her lips to mine. I kiss her back, trying to put in as much love as I possibly can into it.
If there was even a gap between us, I've closed it. It is just us, nothing else matters. Tori runs her fingers through my hair, continuing to kiss me. We both pull away, gasping for air. We laugh at ourselves and I hug her again.
"I missed you so much," I breathe.
"I missed you too," she says. "I was so worried. Wait, are you hurt anywhere?"
She lifts my chin and examines my forearms. I laugh at her cute, protective gesture.
"I'm fine, I promise," I say. "There's not a scratch on me."
"Just wanted to make sure," she says.
"Hey," Tony calls. "What about me?"
Tori laughs and runs into her brother's embrace.

•••

Tori and I stand outside on a deck of the Avengers Tower. The others are inside on this dark and cold night, laughing and having fun. My right hand rests on the barrier of the deck, which protects everyone from falling. My fingers curl, creating an empty space underneath. My other hand sits in my pocket.
Tori stands to my right, gazing at the stars. Her eyes glint in the moonlight, making them more beautiful than ever before.
I look up at the sky, seeing small flurries falling to the earth. I smile at the snow and look down at the city. I see young children pointing to the sky, tugging at their parent's arm.
I gaze at the stars, watching them twinkle. I feel Tori's hand wrap around mine. I turn my head to look at her, another smile spreading across my face.
"You have no idea how much I've missed you," she says softly.
"I do," I state. "I felt the same way."
     "Do you think that anything bad is going to happen soon?"
     "No, everything is perfect. Nothing can ruin that."
     "At least not for a while."
     I stare at my feet, not knowing what else to say.
     "Hey," Tori says, taking my face in her free hand. "Look at me. Our promise, you remember?"
     "I don't plan on forgetting," I say.
     Tori rests her head on my shoulder. "Good, because I don't either."
     I put my head on top of hers, looking into the sky. I hold her hand tighter, making her smile.
     Being home with the one I love was just a dream to me, because I didn't have either. Now that I have Tori and she has given me a spot in her heart, I have both. Most people say that love can be sweet, but it becomes ice cold. For me, the one that I love has brought me into the snow. The snow she made just for us, so that no one can separate us. And I love her for that.