Capable Acquaintance

The sun was low in the sky, a chill started to arise in the air. It was going to be a crisp night. The smell of blood radiated through the air and muffled screams came from the room diagonal of hers. The torture had begun earlier than normal.

Suna rotated her wrapped wrists in her chains becoming more comfortable. She knew it would be her turn soon and took a deep breath in attempt to push her fears to the back of her mind.

Suna concentrated on finding her inner strength and concentrated on her young students. She had to help them. She knew that they were strong but she didn't know how much longer they could last. With Valex’s help, maybe they had a chance.

Suna heard the door on the room of the man currently been tortured open and slam close. She could just peak out the door of her cell enough to see that it was Valex who had burst through and was curled over a trash can; hurling.

Suna pulled against her chains as she stared at him. She was surprised to find that she was concerned about her newly found acquaintance. Maybe it was because he had given her, her first proper meal in weeks, or the fact that he was the only source of information on her young ones, either way the more she watched him the more she wished she could help.

Valex had one big hand placed on each side of the can. The top of his dark copper hair could just be seen as it bobbed up and down with each gut wrenching gag. His white plaid top hung loosely on his broad body. It had bunched up above his pants were he had tucked it in. His knees collapsed under him as he removed himself from the can.

Valex dragged his muscular forearm across his mouth and raked his hand through his messy hair; pushing it out of his eyes. She wondered what was happening. What was so bad that it made him have to leave the room? If that where the case, what were they going to do to her next?

The door swung open and Number One stood in the doorway. He abused Valex for leaving and demanded that he re entered the room at once. Valex shook his head viciously. He had clearly had enough of whatever it was that One was doing.

Number One stormed over to Valex and grabbed his hair; he wrenched Valex to his feet. Valex's face held discomfort as he was shunted into the room. The door slammed behind them.

Another deep scream erupted from the room louder than the last few. Suna tore her eyes away from the door and closed them. She took a deep breath and softly hummed; she decided to forget about this world for a while and headed into meditation.

* SPACE *

Suna was rudely awoken from her meditation by the bang of her door ricocheting off the wall. Number One had burst in with a devilish grin on his face.

''ello poppet,' he rumbled in his thick unknown accent. Valex locked the door behind him and turned to face Suna. He had a fresh black eye and split lip, which made his face puffy. She assumed it was from when he refused to re-enter the room he retreated from.

Valex was soon by Ones side and sideways glared at him, only quick enough for Suna to see. Suna smirked a little. One snatched the bag off Valex and slammed things on the table.

'I'm gonna make you scream today, bitch,' He spat as he slammed down another knife, 'I swear I will, even if it takes all night!' He promised her as he smashed the last item from the bag onto the table. He threw the empty bag onto the ground next to Valex.

Valex pursed his lips together and collected the bag from the ground. Suna could tell he was over today, that he hated that man. That he wanted out almost as much as she.

Valex noticed Suna looking at him and flung the sack over his shoulder. He walked over to One and stood next to the rickety chair, Number one grabbed the largest knife but when Valex saw it he placed a hand on Ones shoulder, suggesting coldly;

'Why go straight into it? Why not build up to that? If you use that now, she will be numb in five minutes,' His voice was nasty, it made Suna second guess her opinion on Valex, 'if you work your way up to that one, it will be more intense.' He pulled Number One closer to his side, 'Besides, that stupid bitch will be spilling her guts before you get to use that one anyone,'

Suna was insulted but grinded her teeth to keep her mouth shut.

One looked at Valex with a small grin, 'See, kid, I knew you weren't a complete dipshit,' He pushed Valex away and picked up a smaller knife.

Valex stumbled back and fell into Suna's hay. He sat there for a moment as he waited for his head to stop spinning.

Valex would have normally stood his ground but because that had caught him completely unprepared it threw him flying. It gave Suna an estimation of how strong this brut really was.

Number One pulled Suna's waist long hair back harshly, yanking her head backward and exposing her throat. He pushed the knife up under her ear, 'Where is Master Shen's hide out? Where are they keeping him?'

She looked him in the eyes and smiled slyly. Suna knew this made him angry and when he dragged the knife up; cutting her ear, she winched but didn't remove her smile.

He asked more questions about her Master, before upgrading to the second largest knife. One slapped Suna across the face before placing the larger knife on the webbing between her thumb and index finger, she was questioned again and when she didn't respond, her webbing was cut. Valex flinched and looked away with his hand over his mouth as her hand begun to drip blood.

One continued for what felt like forever before he became frustrated. He grabbed the biggest knife and went to charge at Suna. Before he could reach Suna, Valex grabbed One's arm and kicked out his left leg. One sucked in breath as he fell. Once he was on the ground, Valex pulled the arm he had up and behind his back into a defensive pin hold.

'She's had enough,' He shouted at One who was struggling against the hold.

'Let go of me you prick!'

'You can't kill her!' Valex pulled his arm up which stopped the struggle. 'We need her alive!'

'If you don't let go of me right now,' One spat 'I swear to god I'll-'

'You'll what?' Valex challenged, 'You can't do anything! I'm here by direct orders from the boss to make sure your don't go overboard!'

'You wouldn't dare!' He released the butcher knife

'Fucking try me!' Valex yanked his arm up so hard that if he lifted it a little more it would have dislocated, he then shoved him forward. 'You're lucky I didn't kick your teeth through your skull for this split lip I have!'

One grunted and grabbed his shoulder. He stood up quick and got in Valex's face so close they were sharing breath.

'Get out of my face,' Valex growled through gritted teeth.

Suna watched the two less then an inch from each other and sighed, they looked like pit bulls ready to attack. Even though she was happy for the distraction she was mildly concerned for Valex; One towered over him and was clearly the bigger of the two. Sharp pain shot through Suna's body, she decided to head into meditation.

'Make me,' One glared, Valex glanced over to Suna whose eyes where now glazed over. She was quivering, he examined her wounds with his eyes quickly; One used this time to slam his fist into Valex's face. Valex grabbed One's hand as he was withdrawing it back and smiled.

Suna was snapped out of meditation by the sound of the thump. She watched the two.

'You're pathetically weak, Zak,' Valex moved his free hand to his jaw, he opened and closed it before; in a swift flick of his wrist, broke Zak's hand and back kicked him in the stomach. He fell to the floor screaming in agony and grabbed his wrist. Valex bent over Zak and spoke harshly, 'Consider it pay back for the lip, prick.'

Suna watched on quietly as Valex packed up the knives and tied the bag to his waist before walking over to Number one - Zak.

'I'm going to report this to the boss Valex! You'll be beaten half to death!' Zak spoke from the ground, 'you just wait!'

Valex just laughed a deep rumble and walked out of the room, leaving the door wide open. It was now clear to Suna that she had greatly underestimated him.