Chapter 143.

I climb off the counter to find Landon walking through the door first followed by Karen and Ken. I gasp when I take in Ken's face. A deep purple bruise is clear on his cheek and his bottom lip holds a small cut right down the center. I fidget with my hands, twirling the heart charm on my bracelet between my fingers.

"Hey." Hardin says, looking away from his father's injured face.

"Your place is so lovely." Karen smiles and the three of them stand by the door, unsure what to do.

"Come on in. You can put those by the tree." I tell Landon, gesturing to the bag of gifts in his arms.

"We brought the gifts you left at the house as well." Ken says.

The air is thick with tension, not an angry tension necessarily, but an awkward tension.

"Thank you." I smile.

Landon walks to the kitchen first, followed by Karen and Ken. Hardin is standing so close to me that I can practically feel his nerves shaking.

"How was the drive?" I ask, trying to start conversation.

"It wasn't too bad, I drove." Landon answers.

"Are you excited to get back to classes? I miss them, doing the work at home isn't the same." I tell him. Sometimes I forget that I am still a college student. that is until I have a ten page essay to write without being present all week. Everyone awkwardly fills their plates with food, I get the feeling that Landon and I will be doing most of the talking today.

"Yes, very. I have been bored out of my mind all winter break. So when the semester starts will you still be gone everyday? I don't want to be stuck in all my classes alone."

"No, I will be at Vance three days a week and on campus the other two. I am excited for new classes." I explain.

"Our religion professor is young, only twenty four I believe."

"Really? She must be fresh out of college." I say.

"He." Landon corrects me.

"Oh." I smile and take a bite of a cherry tomato from the vegetable tray.

"What are your other classes?" Ken asks.

"Well Landon and I are taking world religion, an American Literature class, and I am taking yoga and French alone."

"Landon you didn't want to take yoga?" Karen smiles and Landon shakes his head with a smile.

I feel Hardin's eyes on me and I turn to glance at him. I can't tell what he is thinking but he doesn't look happy.

"The food was excellent." Karen compliments me.

"I didn't make it, Hardin did." I smile and place my hand on his thigh.

"Really? It was delicious Hardin." Karen smiles.

"Thanks." Hardin replies simply. He offers her a small smile to soften his short answer.

No one seems to know what to say so I stand up and place my empty plate in the sink before filling Hardin's empty glass with sweet tea.

"Thank you." He quietly says to me.

"Should we open the gifts?" Landon asks.

"Yes." Karen and I say at the same time.

Silent Hardin is almost as uncomfortable as irritated Hardin.

We walk into the living room and Hardin sits on the chair. Ken, Karen, and Landon sit on the couch. Just as I am about to sit on the floor Hardin grabs me gently and pulls me onto his lap. I feel my cheeks redden at his public display of affection and Karen tries to hide her smile.