Blood is Thicker Than Water (Avengers x reader)

You sat in the lab across the workstation from Bruce, fighting the strong urge to drum your fingers on the steel tabletop. You had been sitting there silently for over an hour, waiting for the doctor to finish the project that he was working on. He had promised to be only a few minutes when you had arrived, but now your patience was wearing thin. You cleared your throat, trying to get his attention, but subtle methods clearly weren't working.

"You look so sexy in that lab coat, Bruce."

His head shot up so quickly that his glasses nearly fell from his face, and his eyes were so wide that you thought they might actually pop out of his skull. "What did you...I'm sorry, I...I didn't mean to...I didn't..." he stammered, removing his now crooked glasses and refusing to make eye contact.

"Banner, I'm messing with you," you chuckled, hopping down off from the chair, "but I'm surprised that you even heard me. You really get in the zone, don't you?"

"Yeah, sorry, (Y/N). I can be done," he sighed with a shrug and a small smile, "I'm done."

"If you don't have time for this, it's okay, really. I'm still not even sure if this is a good idea."

"I always have time for you, (Y/N), and yes, we need to work on this. Come on, let's go." Bruce reached up and took your hand in his and led you to the door, looking back for just a second before nodding to himself and turning out the lights.

~~~

It was already close to midnight by the time Bruce had allowed you to pull him away from the lab, and despite your fatigue you felt wired and anxious about what he was asking you to do. Your abilities of water-bending were known to the team and used on several missions in the past few weeks alone. However, your ability to blood-bend had been successfully kept a secret until Bruce happened to see it in your file during your years with HYDRA before you joined SHIELD and now the Avengers.

In the world of superpowers, blood-bending was a dark and highly dangerous skill, perhaps one of the most dangerous that a person could possess. You had used it to win a fair share of battles while on HYDRA's side, but you had refused to continue once SHIELD had accepted you. It wasn't to say that they didn't want you to use it, however. They considered you to be their most powerful weapon, second only to the quiet man standing in the elevator with you now.

"I just wish I could make it go away, you know?" Your voice was barely a whisper, feeling vulnerable as your thoughts raced and your contempt for yourself began to grow. "What am I saying? Of course you know."

Bruce only nodded wordlessly, watching you with concern and empathy as you continued.

"I worry that I could lose control of it. I trained my skill for years, working night and day to perfect it, make it work faster, make it efficient."

You were halted when the elevator stopped and the doors opened, revealing Clint and Natasha just returning from a late-night sparring session. "What are you kids doing up so late?" Clint smirked, stepping inside, dancing around you while you pushed past to exit. "Hey, careful, kids. I've heard that the worst place to Hulk-out is in the bedroom."

Noticing the redness creeping up Bruce's neck and into his cheeks, you turned back to Clint and slowly looked up and down at him, raising an eyebrow as if in judgment of his suggestive appearance. "We aren't covered in sweat with messy sex-hair, Barton. Can't say the same for you two."

Clint frantically looked to Nat and back to you, but she had no offering other than a small smile and to keep her gaze lowered to the floor. She enjoyed seeing him being called out on his inappropriate jokes that most didn't find particularly funny.