Chapter 2

Waking up had always been a struggle for me, but today knowing I would have to attend the mating ball there was nothing I wanted to do more than to simply stay in my warm bed hiding under the covers where no monsters could get to me. But of course that wasn't possible and to ensure this Alaricus Knight actually had guards go around to the attendants houses to pick them and their families up personally.

The day had gone by in a blur and before I knew it my mom was throwing me into my bathroom telling me to get ready. I showered taking my time to revel in the warmth of the hot water, blow drying my hair afterwards. Although I didn't like putting makeup on, I simply didn't have the face for if but my mother would most probably murder me if I didn't and I wasn't cruel enough to let the guards who'd come to escort us be greeted with the sight of my mauled corpse. I climbed into my dress the satin sinfully soft against my skin.

As my dad had always wished he was the one to put the family bracelet on for me, it had been passed down generations and was now mine. The thin white gold chain that had one charm with our family W on it, encrusted with exactly one diamond, to others it wasn't much but to me it was the most beautiful thing I had ever laid my eyes on.

I felt my heart fill up when I saw the tears in my dads eyes, when he looked up at me. I had always been a daddy's girl, but today the fear that I could lose him propelled me to throw myself into his arms, pretending that I would be safe in my fathers secure hold. I heard my mother walk into the room, and my dad gently released me, pressing a kiss to my forehead. My mom gushed at how beautiful the dress was, and told me that our assigned guard was already here.

The guard had come to pick us up in a limousine with two other human families already sitting inside of it. The ride was quiet and much too short. Before I could even attempt to get my heart beat in control it was over and the guard in his gruff voice was demanding for us to exit the vehicle, his attempt at being polite not working very well.

I had never been to the house of Alaricus Knight before, if you could even call it that it was really more of a castle, a gorgeous castle but as I stared at it longer I realized it was missing something, what, even I wasn't entirely sure.

My parents walked slightly ahead of me my moms arm pressed into my dads, and I couldn't help but feel my heart sink at the idea of never having that. Never having a partner I walked in tune with, for there was a possibility that today I would be claimed by some monster, who would forever drag me behind him everywhere he went. Human and wolf matings never turned out well the human was always degraded, the wolf's protectiveness border lining insulting. The human could never even go anywhere without the wolf making a scene, it was repulsive to see, it happened more times in public then I or most human mates wished to remember.

If I had thought the castle was beautiful from the outside, the inside was incomparable. This inexplicable strength in the castle, or withstanding age old beauty, a type of eternity seemed to be cemented into the very walls. I had always thought the home of the beast would be empty and dull, but this was extraordinarily beautiful.

I looked around hoping to see a familiar face, and soon caught sight of Marina who was standing next to a pretty girl waving at me enthusiastically. I made my way towards her carefully hoping not to attract more attention then her frantic waving already had. Although being as clumsy as I was I managed to stumble against the edge of a couch. I finally made it over to Marina and after the awkward introductions and the exchange of compliments that Marina and her friend definitely deserved for they both looked stunning I stood off to the side quietly as they spoke. My never a left me completely incapable of making conversation and my naturally awkward personality didn't help very much.

A frown was upon my face as I looked around, the poor girl was actually hoping to find her mate, the werewolf written romance books about matings had obviously deluded her into believing there was anything romantic about the ancient old tradition. I hope she never realizes how serious her misconception of mates really was. She had nobody to tell her the truth and how I wished to but I knew better then to bad mouth them when I was surrounded by thousands of them.

So I somehow managed to keep my mouth shut fearing I was gonna start turning purple with the effort. But if Ana said even one more thing about how wonderful it would be to have a mate, or be able to choose curtains for her house I surely would explode.

Looking around for a distraction from the discussion we were currently having I noticed the odd warrior who lived a few houses down looking at me. He stood in his place his eyes glinting with approval, maybe he thought I would run away before the ball, he really did take his job seriously. My eyes widened as he started to make his way towards me and I panicked hoping to avoid him I quickly excused myself from Marina telling her to distract him and ran out of the hall hoping to find a washroom to hide in.

I found the exit of the huge party banquet and rushed out as I could still feel his eyes on me. When I had successfully made it out and caught my breath I looked up and my eyes widened at how beautiful the castle was. It was even more beautiful on the inside than it was on the outside.

I walked around the gorgeous castle in no hurry to get back to the banquet, until one of the help who were rustling about spotted me and politely requested for me to get back to the banquet. My cheeks turned scarlet in embarrassment as the woman sighed tiredly at me before turning around, she thought I was one of those troublesome people. Mumbling to myself I stumbled around hopelessly lost in the large castle.

After walking down a long narrow hallway I arrived at a staircase. I felt my curiosity peak and started to ascend the staircase despite the fact that was definitely not the way back to the banquet. I went up the stairs cautiously knowing this could lead to me ending up in a dungeon but I couldn't help myself my curiosity always got the best of me. I finally reached the top seeing a long hallway with many doors and a beautiful antique chandelier. I cautiously opened up the first door but to my luck it wasn't leading back to the banquet. Large dark coloured couches lined up against the walls an expensive looking glass table sitting between them but what caught my eye was the grand piano at the back of the room. My dad used to love to play but we didn't have the money to purchase one ourselves.

My feet took me to it before I could think my fingers trailing softly over the keys. I didn't know how to play but I remembered how happy my father would be while he attempted to teach a four year old me. The sound of the door opening broke me out of my reverie my breath catching in my throat as I froze shutting my eyes tightly. Counting to ten in my head I turned around slowly my eyes still tightly closed hoping that it was simply help and not a upperclass wolf. I felt the intense stare of a person on my face making me tremble. Slowly I opened my eyes only to gaze into a pair of blazing honey coloured eyes, a prominent amount of gold in them. Framed by thick black lashes making them impossibly more enchanting. I felt my heart stop when I heard the one word I had been dreading all my life.

"Mine"