Chapter 10

© 2013 Sandra Corton

Journal Entry 8 Book 2

I still can't believe that I agreed to go out with Zach on a date. I must have totally lost all the senses in my brain! He would realise how boring I was after this, I could just see it.

He said he would take me out Saturday night. That still felt like a world of time away with it only being Monday night but even now I was worrying about it.

This day has been one of the craziest I have had in such a long time. I'm still in shock that I stood up in front of that classroom and told them so many intimate details of my life. Now the whole school would know that I liked Zach. Just thinking about it makes me want to hyperventilate!

People knew some of my inner most secrets now. I was sure they couldn't all be like Alyssa with being apologetic. Why did I have to make that speech with so much information about me? The answer like normal was because of Zach.

I had made that speech for him and I hadn't stopped to think what anyone else would have thought about my words. Now I regretted it but it was out there. It was far too late to try and get it back. I could only hope my other classmates didn't really care that much about my life.

Chapter 10

Zach winked at Emily as he got up in front of the classroom with his speech in hand. She needed to hear what he said as much as he had needed to hear her yesterday. He was still amazed she had said yes to going on a date on the weekend. He thought he had pushed her too far when she had just stared at him with that stunned expression on her face. He cleared his throat and looked straight at Emily, however briefly.

"You all know me as Zach Carter, the last of the Carter kids. My brother being too old to care about anymore." He made a swishing motion with his hands.

It was rare that he mentioned his brother since he had moved a whole country to get away from his life. Zach had never thought his life was so bad but James Carter had hated it here. He had despised his schooling, his family, and even his friends. In a way Zach had been relieved when he left.

"So after Emily's great speech of yesterday I didn't think mine would hold up too well against it, so I rewrote it last night. It's obviously a given who my favourite person is though right? Well in case you didn't guess, it's Emily Dawson.

"Now before you all start moaning and groaning, let me tell you why. I first met Emily long before she came to school. She was this sad, mysterious girl that just intrigued me. I don't even know why, she didn't say a word to me even though I was asking her stuff.

"Her first week of school was weird for me. I would see her sitting down and writing something as though she was possessed. It only intrigued me more. I wanted to know what she was writing about. Every time I see her writing I just have this desperate need to read her words.

"I spend a week with her family every year so my parents can get out of my hair. Seriously they are too much to deal with." He looked at Emily then to see a tiny smile on her face. His parents adored her just as he did and she knew that. "So the second week after she moved here I was staying at her place. Things happened that only left me with more questions about her. Emily was the most fascinating and beautiful creature I have ever known."

"She said four words to me in the first two years I knew her. Those four words only had me wanting to hear more from her. Thinking back now I guess I became a bit of a stalker really. All my friends knew about my very unsubtle Emily obsession but nobody said anything." At that Emily sent him a shocked look which turned into a pink cheek tinged smile.