Insane Doesn't Even Begin to Cover it... Chapter 4

The next day, it’s time for our weekly group therapy session. At least, I think that’s what it is. Every kid in the building is gathered up in this one room on benches to sit and watch a 3 hour long movie about how you should take your meds, listen to your doctors and be docile little sheep. It’s really annoying, because it’s the same thing every week, and then you have to take all of your pills at once, and it makes you feel all funky and basically act like a lunatic for the rest of the day. Or well, that’s what happens to me.

“Come on Senna, it’s time to go…” Griffin says, as he enters my room. I’m sitting on my bed, as always, staring up at the little rectangular window at the top part of my room. At night it lets in the moonlight, and in the morning it lets in some sunlight.

Turning my head when he walks in, I stand up and walk over, absently running my fingers through my hair. I’d noticed another syringe in his pocket. Wondering what that one contains, I walk along behind him and his sons, staring down at my feet.

When I finally realize that we’re in front of the door, I step around the 3 guys and walk in, taking a seat at the back, right next to the door. Trying to be invisible, I shrink down a bit. They don’t let people sit in the back. They HAVE to sit at the front. It’s like a rule.

But, someone just had to notice and they walk over to me. Before they reach me, I stand up and take a seat near the front, sending a glare their way. The doctor just smirks and walks back to where he was leaning against the wall with the other doctors.

“Ok everyone, today we’ve changed the video up a bit, so just watch…” the head person says, then starts the movie and goes to the back of the room. Leaning back against my chair, I look towards the screen on the wall. They never change the video. I wonder what this is about…

The movie starts and I watch for not even 3 minutes, before looking at the wall next to the screen. That movie… it’s so wrong. When I moved my eyes, I caught a glimpse of something… turning my head a bit, I stare towards the other kids in the room, realizing they all look well… doped up.

What the hell is going on here? Now blatantly staring, I watch as the doctors come around with cups of pills, handing them to the kids. I know what everyone’s pills look like, and those AREN’T their pills. Then it comes to be my turn.

Griffin, Cade and Dallas walk over together to give me my pills. I’ve actually got 3 small cups full. I wonder if the doctors think that we’re all so crazy that we have no idea what our medicine looks like.

THESE AREN’T MY MEDS!

I wish that I could scream that out, but I don’t talk. Giving Griffin a look, I nod slightly towards my pills, pleading with my eyes. He looks confused as he hands them to me, and a little shocked that I’m even trying to communicate.

As Cade hands the pills in his hand over to me, he bends close to me, and as he places the cup in my hand he whispers, “What is it?” in my ear. When he leans back a little, I dart my eyes towards the movie, then to the pills then give all 3 of them a desperate look.

It takes them a minute, but they finally realize what I’m trying to say. When Dallas hands me mine, he too whispers in my ear.

“Pretend to eat them, or just dump them down your shirt or something, or into your pocket.” Then they all walk away, and no one suspects a thing.

Looking back towards the screen, I can sense a lot of people watching me. From the corner of my eye, I see almost all of the doctors watching me, since I haven’t swallowed my pills yet. Taking a few out of each cup, I grab the water bottle someone handed to me, and pretend to drink them down, really I’m dropping them down my shirt.

That process repeats over and over again. When the last cup is empty, one of the doctors comes over to collect the empty water bottle and the cups, examining me. I pretend to get really loopy, making it look like my eyes are glazed over while I stare at the screen. The doctor walks away smirking. When I’m sure everyone isn’t watching, I take all the pills that I dropped down my shirt and shove them into the pockets on the inside of my robe, glad that I had thought to wear it.

Staring back towards the video playing, I listen as the guy talks about new procedures that are being introduced.

“It is very important that you listen to your doctors and take all of your pills, they will make you… better. Much better. It may seem odd, but it’s all with your well being in mind, always remember that. No matter what happens, it’s good for you.”

That’s just one of the crazy things this guy on the vid is saying. He’s also talked about how there are going to be punishments for anyone who doesn’t obey, and if they don’t get better well… the guy never finished that sentence. Keeping the dazed look on my face, I pretend to watch the video, but really I’m tuning all the horrible words out, and staring at a point next to the screen.

Griffin, Cade, and Dallas come to collect me and take me back to my room, and I notice how I’m getting odd looks from the doctors. All the doctors, except for my specific psychiatrists, which are Griffin, Cade and Dallas. It’s really, really freaking me out, because I have no idea why the hell they’re looking at me like that. Rushing out of the room with the 3 of them, we all speed up the stairs and to the office room thing that I was in when I was first introduced to them.

“This is really odd, really. Do you still have the pills?” Griffin is walking back and forth in front of me, looking stressed. “In all my years of being around this place and other institutions, I’ve never seen that video, or seen any of these procedures. Never even heard of them.” He stops moving when I hold out all of the pills I’d put in my pockets. He smiles at me, but doesn’t look discouraged when I don’t smile back.

He’s probably getting used to the fact that I don’t talk to anyone. Letting the pills fall out of his hands and onto his desk, he calls Cade over to help him organize them, while telling Dallas to get on the internet or something to find out what type of pills those are.

When he politely asks me to leave, I do it quickly, walking down the hall at a fast pace, and swinging onto the stairs, running up them. I keep a look out for any doctors, not wanting to be caught.

Once I’m on my floor, on my way to my room, I’m home free.

Or so I thought.