I. Chapter 4 | Part 1 - Stone

As she walked away from him, Stone put his head in his hands and silently cursed before he rose to his feet.

That did not go well at all. He knew it wouldn't. He knew she would reject his warning, but still, he had to try.

If it hadn't been for the scent of that male on her, he probably would have given in to the pull of the matebond. He couldn't turn his nose up at it, though; it was too strong and peppery. It attacked his senses and made him suppress a growl of contempt.

He strolled away from her for a bit, only to turn around and follow her once more.

He had to make sure she was safe. He couldn't relax if he didn't know she was safe.

He mind-linked to Guinevere, or Gwen as she preferred to be called nowadays. He still couldn't get used to Gwen though. She would always be Guinevere to him.

As the only remaining female in their pack, and also the youngest member, she had been the stand-in Luna over the last hundred years—a responsibility Stone would never have willingly put on her if it weren't for the fact that the pack needed a Luna. 

[Where are you, Guinevere?]

He continued to walk in silence as he waited for her presence to enter his mind, his thoughts still lingering on the young female. How her heart hammered in her chest as she struggled to breathe, fighting against urges she didn't understand.

How could she? She was human. This was all beyond her mental capabilities and psychological reasoning.

After a few seconds of recalling the feel of the girl's body so close to his against the wall, Gwen's musical voice entered his head. [I'm at the southern edge of the city limits. What's up?]

He sighed as he rounded a corner. Chicago-girl was a hundred yards ahead. He could still smell the anger rolling off her shoulders. Anger, fear, and above all, the essence that made her, her.

The very same smell he picked up in the woods Friday night.

The very same smell that drew him to her in the first place.

[I can't do this,] he confessed.

He could almost feel her hesitation, making him cringe as a result.

[What do you mean?]

[She's human. I can't.]

She exhaled loudly, making him stop to press his hand to his forehead as if to shield his face from the sun. He pretended to look up as if reading signs on the stores that lined the street, while his eyes actually scanned the rooftops. All he could see were pigeons, though. His other senses detected nothing of concern.

[Yes, you can. Just... Give it time. You have all the time in the world.]

[But she doesn't.]

Swallowing the lump forming in his throat, he lowered his gaze to the street and began to walk again, casting sideways glances at the other people walking about.

A puff of tobacco plumed in his face and he tried with all his might to refrain from coughing.

Gwen sighed. [Seriously? You're how old, and you can't man up and—]

[It's not that simple!] His voice sounded all choked up because he was—he was trying not to cough from the cigarette smoke.

That set her off.

[Aww! I've never seen you so emotional since—]

He scowled, interjecting quickly before she got the wrong idea. [Hold your tongue!]

[I'm getting all teary-eyed now!]

[I had smoke in my face.]

She continued her dramatic antics in her musical voice as if she were in a Broadway show with thousands watching her perform her over-the-top scene. [And to think, you've built a wall up around your heart all these years and now, finally—]

[Guinevere.]

[Finally, you can find love in your life again!]

[You know how I hate cigarette smoke.]

[Uh huh. Sure. Blame your choked up emotions on that. I know you.]

He groaned from her teasing tone, catching the attention of a passing woman who gave him the stink eye.

[Cease and desist. An old hag just gave me the evil eye.]

[Poor baby. Did it bruise your ego?]

Growling under his breath, he refrained from cussing her out. [I really ought to teach you to respect your elders.]

[Ha! Good one! I'd like to see you try!]

He knew she was right. He'd always had a hard time disciplining Gwen. His thoughts immediately flitted away to memories long since passed, and it took all his strength to push them behind him and to look forward to the young woman now a hundred and twenty yards ahead.

[It's okay.] Gwen's voice was soft in his mind. She must have glimpsed the internal projections before he could hide them from her. [I miss her too.]

He swallowed, picking up his pace a bit so he didn't lose sight of the woman ahead.

[I need you to keep watch tonight. Can you do that for me?]

[Well, I did have plans to—]

[Guinevere.] His tone was one of warning. He knew she was teasing him again and he could feel her smile sadly.

[Of course I can, Papa.]

---- Author's Note ----

Yes, Gwen is Stone's daughter. He's a package deal. XD

Dedicated to shazzamork33 

*Copyright Jo Lee Hunt (Joflower) 2015*