Insane Doesn't Even Begin to Cover It... Chapter 7

After a few minutes have passed, someone comes to get me. As soon as the door opens, I jump up and stand in a tensed position, ready to lunge at whoever tries to touch me.

“It’s ok I’m not going to hurt you.” A calm voice says as whoever it is walks through the door, then turns to me. Sighing in relief when I see that it’s just Cade, I sit back down on my cot.

He comes over and sits next to me, and he’s silent for a while.

“You know, they’ve locked us in this building. There’s security guards patrolling every way out, even the air ducts.” He says, glancing at me. I don’t respond, just stare at the wall, sort of in a daze.

“Dallas, Griffin, and I want to get you out of here. You don’t belong here. You belong out there, in the open, not cramped up in this small padded room.” He whispers, looking up at the window. “I should be going now. But just remember that we’re going to get you out of here.” With that, he opens the door and leaves, letting it close shut firmly behind him.

Alone again, as always. Lying down on the cot with my back against the wall, I curl up into a sort of fetal position, staring at the slits of light from the window as they dance across the wall. I succumb to sleep soon, and the nightmares that comes with it.

****

The bus comes a few hours later, to my surprise. I drag my little shivering 8 year old body into a sitting position. The doors open and the scared bus driver looks down at me.

“Get on girl, hurry.” The woman says and I rush as quick as I can to get on the bus and into a seat, just as the bus turns around and leaves the town. As I stare out the window, I see something I never wanted to see.

A man, dressed in black, holding a struggling teenage girl that’s about 18 years old. He glances up when the bus passes, but then looks back down. The bus passes by, but I turn around to look out the back window.

The man slits the girls throat, and even from this distance I can see the blood spatter on the cold pavement, before he drags her off into the dark abyss of trees.

I start hyperventilating, and someone wraps their arms around me, trying to comfort me. But all I can see is the image of the blood spraying out and coming to rest on the ground, and the guy dragging the girl off.

Shoving the arms off of me with much more force than I knew I possessed, all I can think about is getting away from any touch or words that could hurt me.

That’s when I first quit talking or letting anyone touch me.

****

Waking up in convulsions seems to be a regular occurrence now. Dragging breaths through my unwilling throat, I concentrate on trying to get up, to get the pill bottle from where it was discarded on the floor.

As soon as I make it to a standing position though, I collapse, and the room spins. Blackness closes in on me for a few seconds, before everything comes back in color and I struggle to reach the pills.

Reaching the long distance, my fingers barely brush the slick orange surface. Coughing now, trying to get a breath to my lungs, to clear the blockage in my chest.

Sharp pains, like someone’s stabbing, comes from where my heart is supposed to be, and I press a hand to my chest.

Scooting forward just a few inches, I finally manage to grab the bottle, and this time I’m focusing on actually getting it open. With horribly shaking hands, I finally manage to open it, and get a pill out.

Putting it in my mouth and swallowing quickly, I can only wonder if I was too late, if I was dying, as the darkness overcomes me.