2.2

CHAPTER TWO

Captain America

- - - - -

SOMEWHERE OVER THE ATLANTIC OCEAN

Ana sat down on the side bench inside the quinjet, watching the legendary Captain Steve Rogers watch the footage of the candidates for the Avengers Initiative on a clear tablet. She was starstruck but not as much as Phil who sat beside her, listening to Fury's orders over the radio.

After she fully healed, Director Fury dropped Steve off with her, saying Phil will take them to the helicarrier while he had to finish some business. She noticed how kind and softly spoken he was. Ana made sure not to include his life before he was frozen, and he noticed that and was thankful. She also placed it upon herself to teach him the basics of new world technology, which was mostly Stark's.

Steve was looking at a few videos of the events that had happened recently around the globe, particularly in New Mexico with the Thor incident. There was a small box that featured the Hulk tearing apart Harlem. Another one with Tony Stark's Iron Man fighting Whiplash, Clint and Natasha's mission in Budapest, and lastly Ana.

After discovering her enhanced abilities, including super strength, fast reflexes and faster healing rate, she was placed into various testing and analysing programs. Director Fury promised her she would never become a science lab rat, but would be trained so she could use her power to help people, and that was all she's ever wanted. When she joined S.H.I.E.L.D., her adoptive family moved to Europe after thinking she created a life for herself in Manhattan, going to university and leading up to getting a job at Mid Town High, her old school and becoming a teacher. They had no idea of her current employment.

The little box on the tablet Steve was looking at had the videos of her training exercises playing. She arched her brow when Steve pressed on it, making the screen wider. In the video, there were five automatic crossbows and her objective was to dodge each arrow aimed at her. Clint's idea. And she did it. Spinning and ducking and catching her way through. The next clip was just for fun, she bench pressed well over the limit and didn't break a sweat.

"I had no idea I could do that. Believe me when I tell you, most of the male agents stopped flirting with me after they heard."

Steve chuckled and lifted his blue eyes to look at her. She smiled as he replied, "What? They couldn't handle a strong woman?" She tilted her head to the side and shrugged, "Not if the girl is stronger." She said and they laughed.

"We're about forty minutes away from base, sir." The pilot announced. Coulson took off his headset and walked over to Steve.

"So, this Doctor Banner was trying to replicate the serum that was used on me?" Steve asked as he clicked on the Hulk footage.

"A lot of people were," Coulson said. "You were the world's first superhero."

"Banner thought gamma radiation might hold the key to unlocking Erskine's original formula." Ana explained as she sat next to Steve. Ana glanced down at the screen, hearing the angry roar from the Hulk as he smashed a jeep apart.

"Didn't really go his way, did it?" Steve asked with a sigh.

"Not so much," Coulson said at the same time Ana shook her head no. "But when he's not that thing though, guy's like a Steven Hawking."

Steve looked up at Coulson with a confused arched eyebrow. Coulson looked back at him and stammered. "He's like a, uh, smart person."

"Sort of like Einstein." Ana told Steve. Steve looked down at her and smiled. That one he knew.

"I gotta say," Coulson continued. "It's an honour to meet you, officially." The corner of Steve's lips turned into a smile.

"I sort of met you, I mean I watched you while you were sleeping," Coulson said and then winced at how that sounded while Ana muffled her giggles. "I mean I was, present, while you were unconscious from the ice."

"You know really it's just a huge honour to have you on board." Coulson said.

Steve handed Ana the tablet and she turned it off, placing it on the seat next to her. Steve walked slowly around the quinjet, walking toward the cockpit. He leaned against the rim of the frame while Coulson mirrored his action, trying to act casual, making Ana smile.

"Well, I hope I'm the man for the job." Steve said.

"Oh, you are," Coulson nodded. "Absolutely. Uh, we've made some modifications to the uniform. I had a little design input."

"Uniform?" Steve asked with a small frown. "Aren't the stars and strips a little...old fashioned?" Coulson glanced at Ana, and then back at Steve.

"Everything that's happening, things that are about to come to light. I think people just might need a little old fashioned."

-   -   -   -   -

Hey guys, I hope you liked this chapter the next one will be where we introduce Natasha and Banner! So stay tuned and please comment!

Q: SHIELD or HYDRA?