22 - Fake

Come at me bro, bring on the hate mail. (;

____________________________________

I watched as Jace’s mouth gaped like a fish out of water. “Peyton—“

            I closed my eyes and held out a hand to him signaling that he should just shut up. “Look, I’m not here to play games. Tell me what the hell is going on or I’ll ask Kayla who could lie.”

            He stared at me and I automatically knew that he didn’t want to tell me anything so it must is pretty bad. Did he have something going on with Kayla? The thought made me sick to my stomach but it’s not like we’re actually going out even though I wouldn’t mind a relationship with him…

            “Do you really want to know the truth?” He mumbled and looked down at his feet.

            “Yes and don’t leave anything out.”

            Jace looked between Kayla and myself but the tramp just put up her hands in a ‘you’re on your own’ sort of way. He sighed and looked at me.

            “Okay, but don’t judge me horribly and don’t interrupt me until I’m finished.”       

            “Just talk.”  

            “So I guess it started after you caught Kayla and Sean making out. Kayla has… issues with you so she wanted to make you pissed off so she came to me. She had already made you heartbroken about Sean but she wanted worse things to happen.” I snuck a peek at Kayla who was smirking at me because she knew that her first plan had worked. “So then she came to me.”

            Jace went on to tell the rest of the story. He exclaimed how Kayla offered him money to have a fake relationship with me then have me fall for him, which actually did work. Kayla would instruct him on what to do such as all those almost kisses that were supposed to be real kisses but we were always interrupted but it made me believe that he wanted this to be more like how I wanted it to be. After this was over, Jace was supposed to break it off then go to Kayla, which would just break my heart. The plan was based on pure luck. There was no guarantee that I would fall for Jace but Kayla decided to take a chance.

            And it worked. I had fallen for Jace Harley only to find out that he was faking everything that extended our ‘fake relationship.’ He was faking me.

            I felt tears well up in my eyes because I’ve never felt so betrayed before. I told him everything plus the things about the fire that I never dared to bring up with anyone else including my best friend. I trusted him and he does this to me.

            “Peyton, I didn’t want—“

            “Save it!” I yelled as the tears released themselves. “You played me worse than Sean ever did because he didn’t know that he was going to hurt me whereas you did!”

            “I needed the money—“

            “Dillon and I could’ve given you anything you needed without doing this to me!”

            “I wanted to earn it!” He shouted which meant that he lost his cool. “I didn’t want to be some charity case to you and Dill. My mom is working her ass off to just pay half of my college tuition so I need to pay the rest! That’s why working and this scholarship are so important to me but it still wouldn’t be enough so I helped Kayla.”