3.

Present day Yara's POV

The alarm clock blared through my room as I groaned and turned over into my bed. I have an early morning shoot at Blackish, then school with my set teacher today. If you didn't know, I'm Yara Giselle Lopez! I have a little buzz in Hollywood about me, but my mother is the real superstar. My mom is Jennifer Lopez, and because she placed me in modeling and acting gigs since I was young, this is my passion now.

I guess my big acting job that made me fall in love was shooting the movie Imagine That with Eddie Murphy. That led me getting more roles in films like Salt with Angelina Jolie and Alex Cross with Tyler Perry. My favorite tv shows I loved working on would be Blackish of course, Scandal, and The Fosters. My mom is the producer for The Fosters so that was a no brainer to work on, but she made me audition like any other actor would for my part.

Enough of all that, I got up to shower and dressed in a pair of sweats and a hoodie. I looked down at my phone to see it's only 5:30am. The morning call is 6:15am for hair and makeup so I'm in perfect time.

"Yara! C'mon breakfast is ready!" My mom yelled. I walked into the kitchen and placed all my bags in the bar stool beside me.

"Good morning ma. Are you taking me to set?" I asked. When she said breakfast was ready, for a moment I thought she actually fixed me something to eat. She literally laid out the milk and cereal box for me. I shook my head, but poured myself a big bowl of Frosted Flakes.

"Yes I am. I'll stay to see your hair and makeup get done, but then I'll have to leave. I'll be back when you're finished with school." I nodded my head and continued eating quickly. We rushed to the car and drove off to the Walt Disney studios. Pulling up, I greeted my TV siblings and their family and headed to my trailer. Everyone was waiting for me & my mom turned on my Beats Pill speakers to blast my morning playlist.

"So Yara I think for the episode you're shooting today we can just twist your braids halfway in the front, and put the rest in a bun." The hair stylist said. As she started moisturizing my braids, my makeup artist started on my face.

"Yara imma head out now. Text me when you're headed to your teacher, okay?" My mom said coming up to my chair and kissing my cheek.

"Ok mommy. See ya." I said.
~~~~~
Today's episode featured Tyra Banks which was really cool to do. I texted my mom after I grabbed my book bag from my trailer, and greeted my set teacher in her trailer.

"Alright Yara so Marcus already started on his math equations, so hand me your homework and get started." She said to me. Marcus plays my TV brother, Junior & takes algebra, but I like to challenge myself with AP Calculus. I glanced at all the problems and sighed. I took my headphones out my bag, and began working on my assignment.

*2 hours later*

"Is the research part for our project due this week or next week?" I asked my teacher. "No it's due next week but it's better to start on it now." She said. I nodded my head and said my goodbyes. My mom was waiting for me in the parking lot, so I went back to my trailer to change into my sweats, and walked out.

"How was set today?" My mom asked. I buckled my seatbelt and she pulled out the studio parking lot.

"It was cool. Tyra Banks was our guest, and she said she was a fan of my work and yours." I said. She smiled and continued down the Los Angeles streets.

"Aww I love Tyra! We gotta do lunch one of these days. So did you already eat or you want something?" She asked. I looked up from checking Instagram and pondered. What did I want to eat...hmmm.

"Uhhh Chick Fil A and please don't forget my Polynesian sauce." My mom rolled her eyes, and headed towards the drive-thru line. After we got our orders and safely made it back home, we both sat in the den and began eating and watching TV.

"While you were filming, I had a meeting with Essence magazine and they want you for their Black Girl Magic issue. What do you think about it?" She asked me. I sprung my head up so fast from eating my waffle fries, I almost choked on them.

"OhMyGod of course I wanna do it! What you tell them?" I said cheesing super hard. She laughed, but I didn't care."I already told them yes cause I know this is really big." I got up from the couch and started dancing in the room. I'm too geeked about this, but I immediately frowned.

"But what do you think grandma Lupe and the rest of the fam would say?" I asked. She sighed and motioned for me to sit beside her.

"Hey I don't want you to get all worried about them. This is a great moment and it's okay to identify with your black side more than your Puerto Rican side. They'll understand." She said. I shook my head cause we both know that's a lie. It's always been drama with my mom's side of the family, and the fact that I don't know who my dad is or his side doesn't help either. All my mother tells me is that he's Black. Now I just stopped asking questions altogether.

"Mommy I just don't want my cousins & 'nem to post slick remarks on social media like they always do. It was horrible enough when I first got the job on Blackish & to top it off I don't even speak Spanish!" I said. I was starting to get teary eyed.

"Hey...don't cry baby. I didn't learn Spanish until I had to do Selena and the press crushed me because I spoke it so bad. It's okay if you can't speak it . I know that you're proud of both heritages, and as long as you're making an impact in people's lives, that's all that matters."

I smiled up at my mom and hugged her. She's always there for me and is like my best friend. It's been just me and her all my life; even when her boyfriends  come and go, I always got her back.

COMMENT, VOTE! I want to know everyone's thoughts! 💜