Chapter 28

Marimba started to play, causing me to jump slightly. I opened my eyes and turned around in my bed to turn the annoying signal off. I was so tired, I hadn't been sleeping well that night. Not at all, to be honest. As soon as I closed my eyes, I saw pictures of grandma in my head. Her smile, her eyes, every feature in her face. I could even hear her laughter. That's why I couldn't sleep, so I felt pretty messed up that morning. I looked at dad as he was lying there on his mattress. His face was turned away from me, but he wasn't snoring, so I knew that he was awake. I slowly walked towards him. His eyes were red, just like mine.

“How are you feeling?” I carefully asked. He let out a heavy sigh.

“I don't know honey. I don't know,” he said and stretched his hand out to grab mine. It was so warm. It actually made me a bit more calm.

“Well, I have to go to school, but I'll be home in just a few hours,” I said and let go of his hand. He swiftly grabbed it again.

“Amber.” I turned around and looked at him.

“You seriously don't mean your going to school, right?” he asked with a surprised look on his face.

“Of course I do, I have to,” I said.

“Honey, you haven't been sleeping well, right?” he asked, still holding my hand. I let out a small sigh.

“Well, not at all to be honest,” I admitted and looked down at my bare feet. After saying that out loud, staying home from school felt like a pretty good idea, I bet people would understand. I mean, I lost a very special person that night.

After calling the school and explaining everything (and get allowed to take the day off), I went back to bed in hopes of getting some sleep. Dad, on the other hand, came out of the bathroom with new and fresh clothes on. He started to put on his jacket and shoes.

“Where are you going?” I asked from the bed.

“I need to clear my head for a bit,” he said and gave me a small smile.

“Do you want me to join you?” I asked, even though I wasn't feeling like doing that because of my lack of sleep.

“It's okay sweetheart. You go back to sleep, you need it. But you have to follow me to the home where grandma used to stay later. We need to talk to them about everything, and maybe sign some papers. Is that okay?” he asked as he tied his last shoe.

“Yeah, I guess,” I said as tears slowly started to stream down my dry cheeks.

“That's my girl! Call me if you need anything,” he said and left the flat. I had to force myself to get up and lock the door after him.

I woke up because of a banging sound on the door. I groaned as I slowly removed the duvet from my warm body.

“When I finally had managed to fall asleep,” I muttered to myself. I was just about to ask who it was when the familiar voice called my name, before banging on the door once again. I swiftly opened the door and the first things I saw were his open arms pulling me in to an embrace.

“Oh! I'm so glad you're here! Do you have any idea how worried I've been?”

“I'm sorry,” I almost whispered, returning his hug. He gently stroke my hair.

“I've been calling and texting you the whole morning,” he continued.

“I'm sorry, Harry. I was asleep. I bet I didn't hear them.”

He grabbed my shoulders and pulled me away a bit, so he could face me. I quickly looked down, but he lifted my face up again with a finger under my chin.

“You okay babe?” I smiled for the first time that day. He called me “babe”. But the smile disappeared pretty fast when I saw the serious look on his face.

“Have you been crying?” he asked and gently ran his thumb across my cheek. I knew it was no use in denying it, so I just nodded. My eyes were hurting, and they were probably red, so I guess I was looking as bad as I felt. I was just happy that dad hadn't come back yet.

“Why?” Harry asked. Another tear was created in my right eye, and slowly made it's way down. It didn't get that far, Harry wiping it away. This was so hard to talk about since I hadn't realized it myself yet. I looked down as I spilled out the words.

“She's dead, Harry. She left me early this morning.” I didn't have to tell him who I was talking about. He knew. My eyes started to produce some sort of waterfalls as I still looked down. My sight became blurry and I covered my face with my hands, my body trembling slightly. Harry didn't say anything, just wrapped his strong arms around me, pulling me closer.

We were lying on my bed, which was pretty risky since it would be a pretty awkward situation if dad would get home. But the door was locked, so he had to knock anyway. Harry forced me to lie down and get some rest. He was right, but I couldn't sleep. I just wanted him to hold me and tell me that everything was going to be alright. We were lying face to face. Having him there was probably the best comfort I'd ever get. I couldn't control my tears, so Harry just wiped some of them away when I didn't even realize that I'd been shedding them.

“Why aren't you at school?” I asked, because the thought had just hit me.

“I had to see where you were. You weren't by your locker this morning as you usually are. You weren't replying to my texts or answering my calls. I got, well, worried. I thought that maybe something had happened between you and your dad or something,” he said as he gently stroke my cheek.

“Where is he by the way?”

“I don't know to be honest. He just told me that he had to clear his head, and he's been gone since,” I said and gently wiped my nose with a tissue. Harry was just about to say something when my phone buzzed.

“That's probably him,” I said and started to reach for my phone, but Harry took it for me since he was closer to it.

“Thanks,” I said as he gave it to me. I should've know that it wasn't my dad. It was HIM.

- Where are you? Not in school today?

I just dropped the phone, letting it bounce a few times on the mattress. That was the last straw. It became to much. I started to cry again.

“No honey, don't cry. Everything's going to be alright,” Harry said and pulled my closer and kissed my forehead. He gently rubbed my back and tried to calm me down. I buried my face in my hands.

“I can't handle this anymore! It has to stop!” I cried. I guess that's when Harry understood that it wasn't dad that send the latest text. He slowly removed my hands from my face, looking at me with serious eyes, causing the green color to get even more intense.

“What has to stop, Amber?”

Come on Amber! He loves you, this is your chance to actually tell him what's going on. He deserves to know.

I slowly grabbed my phone again, opening the messages the rapist has been sending me, which I never replied. I let out a sigh before handing the phone to Harry.

“This. This is what has to stop.”  

Please Vote and Comment ;)