Cheering up

My heart was pounding and I thought that finally we wre getting somewhere. There was a terrible, powerful flicker of hope in my chest and I didn't know what to do with it. Did I have feelings for Ace? Oh god I hoped not, because at the same time I was still ver much in love with Alex and I didn't know what to do with that. Could it be that even though Ace was far too good for me, he had fallen for me?

Ace released my arm and ran his hands through his hair instead. "Why do you even care, Serena?"

I spluttered, trying to force my words into sentences. I wanted to say lots and lots of things but nothing would make sense. Ace snorted, as if I had proven him in right in a way. I pressed my lips together in annoyance. Ace and his self righteous attitude were infuriating.

"Why shouldn't I?" I forced out, mostly out of anger.

"Because you're in love with some retard," Ace snapped viciously.

I scoffed, unable to help myself, "that's rich coming from you? Who has been Vanessa's accessory this summer?"

"At least she didn't cheat on me with my own sister and even though she is clearly a tool, still want her back!" Ace shouted at me.

I felt like he'd slapped me. I was pathetic and he'd just confirmed what I thought; people just felt bad for me because I was such a stupid, dumb little girl who couldn't get over some guy. I took a deep breath but there were tears pooling in my eyes. I didn't want to cry in front of him, but it hurt. The worst thing was that I couldn't even blame him for what he was saying, because it was true.

"You are right, Ace," I said, quickly wiping away a tear.

Ace sagged down onto his bed and put his head in his hands. I turned to leave the room but then Ace cleared his throat, stopping me.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't have gotten so mad," Ace sighed, looking as if he had the weight of the world a top his shoulders, "it's just you... You don't understand."

"Tell me what I'm not getting then!" I pleaded him desperately, at my wits end.

"Nothing, ok?! It's not important- you wouldn't care," Ace fell back, laying flat out on his bed, "now leave. Please."

I stared at him for a few moments, my blood boiling in my veins. I wanted to tell him that I cared more than anything but it wouldn't come out, because I was angry and because I was so afraid that he wouldn't care in return. And so we just waited there in silence, awaiting for someone to say something, neither of us daring.

Eventually I left, slamming the door behind me.

***

The next morning I went to work and came back home and went straight to my bed. I didn't know what was wrong with me but I just didn't have the effort to do anything. All I wanted was to sleep and forget about Ace and Alex and everybody in between.

Of course I did not get my wish. Instead a very hyper Zac launched himself down next to me and blew air in my face until I blearily looked up at him.

"Whaddya want?" I snapped, in a terrible mood.

"To take you on a date, just us two," Zac replied happily, immune to my sour tone and my deadly expression.

I rolled my eyes to the ceiling, "and Jane?"

Zac pouted at my reaction. He apparently wanted my to jump for joy which wasn't happening. I was grumpy and miserable and wanted to stow in my misery, feeling considerably sorry for myself.

"She's gone for the day with her friend Yolanda to do some shopping," Zac explained, "so now you're stuck with me."

I sat up, my hair tousled and my eyes bloodshot. I probably looked like a zombie but I couldn't care the slightest. "Zac, I love you. But I need some me time."