Chapter 20

Days later, Adelaide and Rebekah drove into New Orleans. Rebekah looked into the rearview and wiped some blood off of her face.

She saw Adelaide with a worried face and a hand on her belly, which now held a child- Elijah's child- and rubbed her shoulder.

"It's going to be okay." She looked forward before silently adding, "I hope."

Adelaide smiled slightly before looking down again at her still non-excisting baby bump.

She had found out a week before and she had been shocked but ecstatic as well.

Bonnie had been practicing new spells and one was making Adelaide fertile and when she and Elijah had been together that day, she had gotten pregnan and seeing as she and Elijah had been together more than one time, there was more chance for her to be with child.

She had a smile on her face 24 hours a day for two days before Rebekah cracked and asked her what was so good that she had been smiling all day long. Rebekah had been happy for her and her brother but she had been sad as well. She couldn't have children although that was her biggest dream.

She was happy with being an aunt, though. And not only of one child but of two as well. 

She couldn't wait to meet her two cousins. She hoped one would be a boy and one would be a girl, that way she could experience the two sides of everything. The girl problems and the boy problems of their lives. She would get to experience it all in one way, wouldn't she? 

...

They arrived at the mansion and Rebekah called Elijah again. 

"Elijah, if not answering your phone is part of your clever plan to get me back to this godforsaken city, then well done. I'm here, and I'm worried. Now pick up before I kick in your bloody door." Rebekah ended her call with a threat. 

Adelaide surpressed a smile. That was Rebekah... Would she be so worried should something happen to her child... To Klaus' child. She had no doubt she would, maybe even more seeing as how it was a child and not an adult. 

The two walked in just as a gorgeous female werewolf- Adelaide could sense it- with light olive skin, hazel green eyes, and dark brown hair walked down the steps. 

"Who the hell are you?" She asked the two.

"Oh, you must be the maid. My bags are in the car – get them, will you?"

Adelaide hit Rebeka upside the head. "Idiot! That's the girl Elijah told you about." 

"Right. You're that werewolf girl my brother, Klaus, knocked up. I was expecting to see some kind of supernatural, miracle baby bump. Guess you're not showing yet. It's Hayley, isn't it?" Rebekah asked. 

"You have your brother's manners." Hayley noticed. 

Adelaide snorted. "Yeah, and his temper too." 

"So watch it. Where's Elijah?" Rebekah demanded. 

"Beats me. He's long gone." Hayley said. 

"What do you mean, 'long gone'?"

"Well, one minute he was here making epic promises about protecting me in this predicament that a bottle of scotch and some bad decisions got me into – he was all poetic about how we're family – and then Klaus told me he bailed. Guess that's what I get for trusting a vampire."

"Elijah is not just any vampire, and he doesn't break promises. Which means Niklaus has done something dastardly and Klaus-like." Adelaide explained before Rebekah started yelling. 

"Klaus! Get out here and tell me what you've done with our brother, you narcissistic, back-stabbing wanker!"

"Enough with all the shouting. Little sister, I should have known. I assume the six dead vampires were your doing?" Niklaus demanded after appearing in the room after opening a set of dubble doors. 

"They were very rude." Rebekah explained, as if it was the most normal thing in the world. "Trying to victimize a poor, innocent girl just trying to find her way to the Quarter and that all while she had a pregnant lady at her side. So sorry, were they friends of yours? Oh, that's right, you don't have any friends."

"What pregnant lady? Hayley has stayed in the house all night long... Who did you bring?" Niklaus ordered, looking between the two. 

"We didn't bring anyone else, Niklaus... I am the pregnant lady." Adelaide said, smiling softly while rubbing her abdomen. 

Niklaus' eyes widened and he started shaking his head, silently chanting something to himself. All the two females heared was 'No, no, no...' 

"Sorry to disappoint you, brother, but she is with child." Rebekah softly said. 

Adelaide was hurt though. Niklaus had always been a brother to her, and now that she had good news she expected him to at least act like he was happy for her- after all, she had stood by him while the others where prepared to turn against him. 

"Oh, and for the record, sister, I do have friends. I have Marcel. You remember him, don't you? Yes, of course you do. He fancies himself the 'King of the Quarter' now, and he has these rules about killing vampires. It'll be fun to see what sort of punishment he comes up with for you."

"I don't care about Marcel or his rules. Elijah doesn't welch on deals. What did you do to him?" Rebekah demanded. 

"Perhaps he's on holiday... or taking a long autumn nap upstairs. Well, go on. Take a look around. You remember this house as well as I." 

" I remember everything." 

While Rebekah reminised everything from the past, Adelaide joined Hayley on the stairs. 

"Who are you?" Hayley asked. 

"I'm Adelaide Ackelson. I am the Vampire-Witch Hybrid. Heard of me?" Adelaide asked. 

Hayley nodded. "Yeah, I did. You're Elijah's true love, aren't you?" She asked. 

Adelaide nodded. "I like to believe so. As you heard, I am pregnant as well, so you're not alone... I just want to know what happened to Elijah... he doesn't know that he'll be a father." 

"The child is his... How?" 

"A witch in Mystic Falls, Bonnie Bennet, she did a few new spells and one affected me and Elijah. It made it possible for me to carry his child." 

"How- How do you feel about being a mother?" Hayley asked. 

"Pretty good. It's the best thing that ever happened to me. I just want Elijah here, it'd make everything so much better. It'd make everything perfect." Adelaide looked at Hayley. "What about you?" 

"I don't know..."