three

Ashton's POV

Luke was true to his word and he let me wash and have some food before heading to bed, his brother had returned home with his girlfriend and so Luke had explained the situation to the pair of them. This was how I was allowed to be on their couch for the night to sleep.

The couch was a comfortable, more so than my usual spot on the cold floor and I appreciated being able to stay. However, I was paranoid that I'd be kicked out once Luke woke up because he couldn't let me stay and so I decided to prevent that from happening. Yes, Luke and I had gotten on well last night and I was grateful that I could have that time with him but I wasn't about to let my guard down completely.

Whilst it was still early morning, I got up and make my way to the kitchen so I could take some food before leaving, they probably wouldn't miss it and I was still a thief.

Once I'd grabbed any food that it'd look like they wouldn't miss, I quietly left the house and rushed back to my little alleyway. Being homeless for as long as I had had taught me not to let people in so easily and so I wasn't going to do that with Luke.

Thankfully, Damian wasn't in the alley when I got there, I didn't want to deal with him right now. After I sat down, I began eating the food I'd taken from Luke's house and secretly hope Luke wouldn't be annoyed at me for leaving and taking some stuff, he'd been my only 'friend' for a while and it'd be a shame to lose him just because I was scared.

It was early morning when I saw a figure at the end of the alleyway, I shrank back thinking it may be Damian since I wasn't in the mood to deal with him for last night. However, it wasn't a pleasant surprise to see Luke.

"Ashton, are you here?" He called out quietly, clearly feeling on edge himself. "Ashton, I'm not mad at you, I just want to talk."

Sighing and somewhat worrying for Luke's safety if Damian returned, I got up from where I was sat and walked over to him. A small smile formed on Luke's lips before he quickly dropped it when seeing I didn't return it.

"Why did you leave?" He asked once I was close enough.

"Because I'm not prepared to let myself get attached and I'm no good for you, it's best you stay out of what my life is because it's not a place for someone like you."

"Someone like me?" Luke sounded confused and slightly offended.

"You couldn't even protect yourself from Damian last night, that's the crowd I have to deal with and that's not something that's good for you. You need to stay well away." I said but Luke just moved a little closer.

"We bonded last night, Ashton, and although you steal from the shop and get me in trouble, I like having you around." Luke admitted, looking down at the floor shyly. "Look, you don't have to be my friend or anything and I'm not going to ask for anything in return but Jack has said that I can let you stay with us."

Luke's offer hit me hard, was he really being that kind to me or was this like a sick joke?

"Are you serious?" I asked, making it sound harsher than I intended.

"Yes?" Luke replied, more of a question due to nerves and I smiled lightly at the blonde boy in front of me. I hadn't had such kindness since before I got kicked out and even then I couldn't think of what it could be.

In a momentary lapse of judgement, I threw my arms around the blonde. "Thank you, oh my god, thank you."

Hesitantly, Luke wrapped his arms around me and I couldn't stop myself from smiling, I finally had a home and it was down to almost a stranger. My parents couldn't love me like they were supposed to so maybe I could finally find it somewhere else.

"It's no problem, I didn't have the heart to leave you on the streets, especially since I'd let you stay for a night." Luke said once we pulled apart, he flashed me a warm smile. "But come on, Jack's making breakfast." He then began to lead us back to his house and I was more than grateful.

Something was finally looking up.

(Word Count: 765)