Apologies

Nya grunts and pushes against a nearby boulder. "I...can't...move it..." Finally, she stops pushing. "As much as I hate to admit it, we're stuck."

"Great," you mumble. "And with my own worst enemy."

"Why do you hate me so much?" Nya asks. "I know you're still mad about Jay, but—"

"Will you just shut up?" you yell. "You have no idea how much it hurt me when you did that. You have no idea how much it hurt Jay, either, or Cole. You don't care about anything except getting what you want!"

For what feels like a long time, there's no answer from Nya's end of the space. Finally, she asks slowly, "Is that really what you think?" She doesn't sound angry or upset, though. Just...sad.

When you don't reply, Nya continues, "I had no idea you thought that way, y/n. I know what I did was petty and stupid and jealous, but...well, I'd hoped that we could put this behind us." After another moment, she adds, "If it means anything at all, I really am sorry. For all of it."

Nya's words hit you hard. You'd never considered that maybe Nya was sorry for what happened. Maybe...you've been too harsh on her? You push the thought away and focus on the rocks in front of you, searching for a draft, a glimmer of light, anything that might hint at a way out.

~~~~~~

"Hey, Nya?" you ask slowly.

"What?" Nya's voice comes through the darkness. You both turned your flashlights off to save the batteries hours ago, when you realized that you wouldn't be able to make a gap large enough to escape without collapsing the ceiling on top of yourselves.

You sigh and lean against the wall. "I'm sorry. You just wanted to help, and I've been nothing but a big jerk." Nya starts to protest, but you cut her off. "No, really, I've been awful to you. It's just that you used to be Jay's girlfriend and I was so worried that he might dump me and go back to being with you."

Nya giggles. "Y/n, I promise I'm not after Jay. Yes, I used to date him, but I realize now that it wasn't meant to be. And if you don't mind me saying so, I think you and Jay are perfect for each other."

"I really have been a jealous idiot, haven't I?" you ask with a smile. "Can we start over? And maybe try being friends this time around?"

"Sure," Nya says happily. "I'd love to. Hi, I'm Nya."

"Hi, I'm y/n," you laugh. "Nice to meet you."

You and Nya carry on laughing and talking, getting to know each other for the first time as the hours pass. You might not make it out of here, but at least you have a friend by your side now.