Chapter One: A Timid Introduction

– Zach –

– Zach –

"Mr. Zachary Curtis, it appears that you are a credit point short."

And you tell me this, after the semester has started?

"Oh." I say instead. "So does this mean I'll get..." I trail off. Please don't say the word 'defer'.

"Not exactly." Ms. Montez says coherently while adjusting her thin-framed glasses. "It is only one point, after all, holding you back would seem like a waste of time for you, wouldn't it?"

Yes.

"Not to worry, we do have solutions for special cases such as yours." She says as she sets the documents down onto her wooden desk. "You have the option to take up an extra subject related to your course, or you could join a club."

"A club?" I frown, instantly loathing the idea.

"Don't tell me that you don't know what a club is." She says sarcastically. "Don't look so troubled, here at Glenworth we have the best and most productive clubs you can ever find. They don't call us the number one institute for nothing."

I am pretty sure nobody calls us that.

"It is all very exciting. You have clubs ranging from performing arts to sports and some humanitarian clubs if you're feeling helpful, or you could even join baking." She babbles. "You look like the type that could whip up some good frosting to go with some cupcakes."

"I hate cupcakes."

"Even better! You could give them to me." Ms. Montez laughs heartily. She seems to be enjoying this more than she should, which is irking me but I'll keep pretending it doesn't.

"You mentioned that I could choose a related subject too, right?" I ask.

"Oh, of course." She says, her energy levels depleting suddenly. I guess I killed the excitement, yet I can't say I'd apologize for that. "Here is a list of available subjects for you to choose from, and here is the list of all the clubs in Glenworth, which I am confident that you would enjoy participating to the fullest extent." She beams while sliding two sheets of paper towards me.

I take the papers and fold them before chucking it into my bag. "Thanks, Ms. Montez."

"You are most welcome, Mr. Curtis." She nods, resuming her usual professional manners. "Should you have any more questions, you know where my office is."

"Right." I utter while carrying my bag on one shoulder, preparing to leave.

"Oh, I almost forgot. Club information day is tomorrow. You should go check it out since you might be joining one." She suggests.

"I'll keep an eye out then." I say. "Thanks."

"No problem." She replies as I exit the room.