Chapter 10

The sun hung low and red on the horizon when they entered Pasella. Despite the late hour, the markets still bustled with activity. Merchants shouted out the daily specials from their booths. The pungent scents of exotic spices mingled with the odors of meat and fish. Children wove in and out of the traffic in the streets, laughing as they kicked a ball between the wheels of a passing cart.

It boggled Arden's mind to think the people could stand to be so close to their neighbors and not become permanently irritated. The constant jostling by the crowds in the street already had her wanting to smack someone.

"Your knuckles are turning white," Dev said as they rode through the crowded street.

She unlocked her hands from around his waist and allowed the circulation to return to her fingers. "I've decided I don't like the city."

"And you wanted to stay the night here." That mocking chuckle rumbled through his chest.

"Point made. Can we please buy what we came here for and leave? I feel like everyone is staring at me."

"They are."

"Thanks for trying to soothe my nerves."

"You'll be more comfortable once we get to Gravaria."

She rolled her eyes. "Promises, promises."

A small child pointed at Cinder and screamed, "Wolf!"

The crowd parted around them and pressed against the sides of the buildings.

With a quiet groan, Dev stopped the horse and dismounted. He ruffled the fur on Cinder's neck and told the child, "He's just a large dog. Completely tame." Then he grabbed the reins and pushed his way through the masses.

Arden took advantage of having the horse all to herself and slid forward into the saddle. "Ahh, it's good not having to endure a horse's ass the entire ride."

"And what is that supposed to mean?" he asked tightly.

She smiled sweetly in return. There was more than one way to define horse's ass.

As Dev led the horse through the crowds, most people gave them the same amount of leeway as they would a plague-bringer. At least the stench of unwashed bodies and urine wasn't as overwhelming now. The scents of spices and leather trickled up from the stalls in the market. The merchant trains that came through Wallus twice a year seemed pitiful compared to the variety here.

They stopped in front of a clothing booth, and he began inspecting the cloaks hanging there. Her gaze fixed on a deep blue one that would match her eyes and compliment her hair. Absolutely perfect. She stroked the buttery-soft wool, admiring the silver embroidery along the edge.

"This will do." Dev shoved a plain brown cloak into her hand, ignoring the merchant who counted out the coins behind him.

"But I like this one." She reached for the blue cloak again.

"I don't care what you like. I'm paying for this, and you'll take what I think is practical."

How dare he order her around like she was his blood? A few choice words sat poised on the tip of her tongue, but his glare silenced her. For now, anyway.

At the edge of the market, they found a blacksmith with several horses in a pen next to the shop. "Any of them look good to you, Trouble?"

"Why are you asking me? You're paying for it, so just pick the one you think is most practical."

A muscle rippled along his jaw, but he didn't say anything else.

"That was rather sassy."

"He deserved it. After all, I was just repeating what he told me earlier. He can't complain that I'm not listening to him."