Chapter 19

Arden braced herself, her pulse quickening. She'd never been kissed before. Please don't let me swoon like some of those idiot girls I've seen.

"It all depends on how well he kisses," Loku replied.

Before Kell's lips could brush hers, a very annoyed voice interrupted them. "I think you've made your point. You can release my apprentice now."

Her cheeks burned from the acid in Dev's order. This is ridiculous. I shouldn't feel this way from losing a swordfight.

Loku laughed. "My dear Soulbearer, this is more than just swordplay, and you know it. It's foreplay."

"Foreplay? We were fighting, not flirting."

"Fighting, flirting—there's not much different between the two. It's all about dominance, and I have a feeling Prince Kell has a sword he wouldn't mind letting you play with."

"Shut up, Loku." Yes, she found Kell attractive, but she knew better than to allow him any liberties with her body. Her mother fell into that trap, and she refused to follow in her footsteps. That did little to soothe the fluttering in her chest, however.

Kell held her gaze as he backed away. Something had changed. His expression lost the cocky arrogance he'd extruded earlier. He seemed as shocked and uncertain as she did. He spun around on his heel, pushing his way through the crowd. His men followed him with their eyes and fell back into place, concealing his escape route.

Her lungs sucked in the cool air, and she slid down along the tree. Her hands trembled as she brought them up to her flaming cheeks.

Dev knelt beside her. "Did he hurt you?"

"Who?" Then she understood his question. "No, he didn't hurt me."

He examined her wrists before tilting her chin up to search her face. "Are you sure? Because if he did—"

"No, Dev, I'll be fine in a few moments. Just let me catch my breath."

He continued to watch her with an intensity that made her fear he'd read her mind. "You're acting strange."

"I'm not going insane, if that's what you're worried about." At least, she hoped not. No, everything she had experienced was physical, not mental.

"It's called lust, and it's about time. I was beginning to fear you'd remain a frigid virgin for the rest of your life. My only question is, who are you going to turn to, to satisfy the need inside you? Dev or Kell?"

"Neither."

"Keep fooling yourself, but we both know better. Just be careful. If you don't make a decision soon, they'll decide it for you."

"Don't be ridiculous. Dev doesn't feel that way about me."

"No? Then why does he look like he wants to castrate Kell?"

She focused her attention on Dev. Lines carved into his face around his mouth and between his brows. "No, I don't think you're showing signs of insanity." He released her. "Yet."

"Meaning?"

"The sooner I get you to Gravaria and away from the prince, the better." He stood and offered her his hand.

"I told you he was jealous."

"And I still find that hard to believe." She took his hand and stiffened her legs, ignoring the fatigue that threatened to turn them into dough.

"Do you realize what you did wrong?" he asked.

Besides almost letting Kell kiss me? "Um, no."

"You lost awareness of your surroundings. You let him back you into a corner, and then you failed to notice the exposed roots on the ground. If he'd been an enemy with a real sword, you'd be dead now." He led her back to where Cinder stood guard over their belongings.