Epilogue

Dev slammed the door to his room. Loku's warning mocked him with each step. He'd held his chance for happiness in his arms, and he'd pushed her directly into Kell's.

He covered his face, sinking onto his bed. The words had hung on the tip of his tongue. He'd almost told her how much he'd come to care for her, how much he wanted to abandon his oath in favor of a lifetime with her. Now she was lying in Kell's arms, and he was left with this dull ache that threatened to drive the breath from his lungs.

In truth, he couldn't fault her. Kell had surprised even him by offering to set her free the other night. He was a good man, someone Dev could respect if he didn't know that he was a rival for Arden's affections.

And Kell could give her everything he could not.

He rubbed his chest. When did someone who started out as a pain in my ass become a pain elsewhere?

He drew in a cleansing breath. Things were not as dismal as they seemed. He would just make sure he stayed by Trouble's side as much as possible during the next few months. If he never allowed her to be alone with Kell, then there was still a chance he could prevent her from giving her heart to the prince. Then once they were back in Gravaria, he'd work on regaining her affections. Maybe one day, he could even be relieved of his oath.

Dev stood up, brushed the wrinkles from his tunic, and strode toward the portal to her room. He wasn't going to give her up that easily.