25 | The Visit

I looked up as R2 lifted out of his seat in the side wing, at my side instantly. He beeped, causing me to smile down at him.

"We can visit Anakin today, Artoo." I promised him. "The medical droid said he seems to be alright."

He beeped in affirmative as we walked up towards the Apartment Building.

I pressed the button on the wall as we stepped inside of the elevator.
"You may visit Senator Amidala afterwards, if you'd like." I told R2. "She has missed you."

Arriving to the top floor, I walked towards Anakin's apartment, opening the door. I stepped aside to allow R2 to roll in, and closed the door behind us.

Looking around, I spotted Anakin standing on the balcony. He must have felt my presence, because he turned around and looked at me.

"I wanted to come see how you were doing." I said, my tone soft.
He smiled faintly. "I'm still here."

I folded my hands and walked towards him. "Artoo also wanted to see you." I said, looking at the droid.
Anakin chuckled as he leaned down in front of the droid. "What would I do without you, Artoo?" He asked, patting the metal interior. R2 beeped happily.
Anakin stood up straight, now towering over me.

His eyes met mine, and he inhaled. "What I put you through... I can't stand to think of that." He whispered to me.
I pressed my hand to his face, my fingers tracing over the scar. "Then don't. I'm here, you're here."
"I'm back because of you."

He turned away, placing his hands on the railing. As I pushed his hair back, I could see a tear falling down his cheek.

"When you looked at me so afraid... My heart felt like it was being shattered, but I couldn't do anything."

Tears began to form in my eyes.

"And then, you told me you loved me." He choked, sniffling. "And I couldn't stand the pain anymore."

"Ani." I whispered, placing my hand on his.

"And when you retraced my memory, and how you were so focused and determined to save me, that's when I knew that my love for you was not a dream."

He lifted his prosthetic hand, caressing my cheek with the cool fingertips. His other hand wiped away my tears.

"And I realized, that I cannot live in this world without you, Kendra Almino." He smiled, more tears slipping down his cheeks.

"Oh Anakin." I cried, holding his face in my hands. He leaned down to my height, pressing his lips to mine. I closed my eyes and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"I love you with my whole heart." He told me.
"I love you, Anakin."

"Stay with me." He said. "I want to hold you, and not let go until I must." He whispered, holding my face in his hands. I nodded as our foreheads pressed together.

"Artoo, you may go see Padmé if you'd like." Anakin told the little droid.

He beeped before heading towards the door. Anakin placed his hands on my waist, his chin resting on my shoulder.

"Obi-Wan said that Ciara escaped."

"Darth Cientra." I said in a mocking tone, using a deep voice. "She's completely taken to the Dark Side."
"I don't like that I didn't see that." Anakin muttered.
"You and me both." I mumbled.
"What are we going to do?"

I looked down at the ground as I leaned against the railing. "Something I don't want to do, but I know I have to."

He looked at me in confusion.

I inhaled through my nostrils as I grabbed his hands with mine.

"I have to kill her."