Workaholic!Medic X Reader

A/N- Warning! Suicidal instances. Read at your own risk.

As he laid there on what seemed to be a bed for two people, Medic stared at the empty wall as darkness engulfed his being.

His blank face showed no sign of emotion but his blue eyes, circled by dark rings of stress and anxiety, said otherwise. Soon, a teardrop found its way out of his glimmering eyes, down his cheek and finally unto the pillow. He groped the vast space around him and settled his hand on another pillow before pulling it close and hugging it tight.

Usually, you'd pop your head through the doorway by this hour, ask him how his day had been and if there was anything you could do to ease up the tensions of the day.
But it didn't seem like that today, nor will it ever.

Medic shook as more tears pushed their way out of his eyes. It was all his fault, and he knew it. You had been nothing but caring to him, and he...

I treated her like dirt.

All you ever asked of him was to listen. You needed his shoulder to lean on, and yet, every time you do, he always seemed to be engrossed, preoccupied, distracted.

"Medic, it was awful today! Firstly, my boss thought that-"

"I'm sorry Schatz, ve can talk later but right now, I'm very busy."

And you watched as he continued to tweak with his weapons and the medigun. It wasn't an uncommon feeling to feel second place in the doctor's heart anymore. You've loved him for a long time, and he's told you likewise, but it wasn't long before you wondered if this was only a fling for him, a spur of the moment thing, maybe even friends with benefits, whatever you'd like to call it.

Nonetheless, you still looked out for him, not wanting any force in the world to hurt him. When he is wounded, you'd treat him, he'd say his thanks and leave to finish whatever contraption he has been working on.

"Medic, please, get some rest."

"I can't Frau, zhis is important. I can't afford any delay."

"But you haven't moved from that spot for four hours! At least have something to eat."

"Nein, zhat von't be needed."

"Can I at least get you some coffee?"

"No. You can go now (Y/N)."

Thankfully, it seemed as if he also noticed that he was putting his work ahead of you, and so, Medic came to see you one night and gave you the biggest surprise you've ever gotten.

"What?"

"Vould you like to go out tomorrow night? Maybe 7 at the old restaurant?"

"Y- yeah! Alright, oh I'm so excited- thank you!"

And you leaned uo to peck him on the lips.

"I'll be waiting."

"You shouldn't wait long Schatz."

"...I never thought that we'd be doing these things anymore."

"Vhy is zhat?"

"Well, you always work...we barely have enough time for each other."

"I know, I'm sorry Schatz."

"It's alright. It was nice of you to ask me out though; I knew you still care."

"Of course I do Schatz, remember zhat even though I am avay."

And so came the big night. You excitedly got ready and made sure you were 15 minutes earlier than the designated time. Once seated, you placed your hands on the table and waited. And waited...and waited. It has been an hour already, and yet, you held on to his promise that he'll come. In the meantime, you took the liberty of playing with the napkin, checking your face in front of the mirror and ordering at least seven servings of cold water.