01.

Chapter One;

The last place on earth Annie Wilkinson wanted to be right now was the Hogwarts Express.

Well, that might be slightly inaccurate. Really, the last place she wanted to be was Hogwarts itself. But since the Hogwarts Express was the transportation to Hogwarts... It wasn't a very desirable place to be either.

Annie would much rather be in the greenhouses of her home in the English countryside. Being surrounded by plants calmed her, and working in the familiar environment was reassuring. Even after You-Know-Who came to power, Anne felt safe in the greenhouses, where there was constant sunlight and warmth. Hogwarts would be dark and cold in comparison.

Annie sighed and rested her head against the window. Outside, the platform was filled with witches and wizards farewelling their children. A sombre atmosphere hung over the entire platform: parents were making their children promise to write every day, to stay out of trouble, to not do anything against the rules.

Hogwarts was a dangerous place, after all. Especially since her mother noted that You-Know-Who had taken over it. Annie dreaded the thought of the classes, and living under the undoubtedly strict rules that would be put in place. Compared to the life she was used to, roaming the endless fields adjacent to her home, it would be like a prison.

Since she hadn't been exposed to anything but her house, the greenhouses, and the nearby town for shopping, the thought of going to such a place really scared her. Anne suddenly wished her mother hadn't kept her so isolated all her life – the only friends she had were three Muggles who lived nearby.

The compartment door slid open. Annie's head snapped up, to see a girl with long, dirty blonde hair standing in the threshold.

"Hi, do you mind if we sit here?" the girl asked. Her voice was light and dreamy. "Everywhere else is full."

Annie licked her lips. 

"Yeah, sure," she murmured, turning her head away.

"Ginny, Neville, there's room here."

Annie peeked through her red hair as three others entered the compartment – a redhead girl she assumed was Ginny, and a boy – Neville.

The girl who had opened to door sat opposite Anne and proceeded to stare curiously. Anne swallowed, suddenly a little uncomfortable. Now she took in the girl, she noticed that there were radishes hanging from her ears, and the necklace around her neck was in fact made of butterbeer corks.

"I don't recall seeing you at Hogwarts before," the girl said in mystic tones.

Annie shrugged. "Because I've never set foot in the school before. I've been home schooled until now, but after the new decrees..." She trailed off

She didn't need to say anymore; the other three exchanged significant looks.

"That would explain it," Neville said darkly.

The train lurched beneath them and began to make its journey to Hogwarts. Annie bit her lip, glancing out the window, for one last glimpse of London. Parents were waving frantically, still yelling after their children.

Annie's eyes remained fixated on the platform before the train left it behind. She slumped back on to her seat, suddenly feeling very alone despite having three others in the compartment with her. She was going to somewhere completely unknown, where she knew no one. The thought was more than a little daunting.

"What's Hogwarts like?" she asked the three, so she wouldn't just walk into Hogwarts without knowing anything.

"Before now?" Ginny asked. "It was great. All classes – well, except the ones taught by Snape – were really good, the teachers were amazing. The grounds are beautiful and nice to relax in, and the castle's fun to explore, too – the ghosts are entertaining, too. But, now Snape's Headmaster, and we have the two Carrows..." She glowered. "I expect things are going to be far less enjoyable."

Annie swallowed. "I see."

Neville smiled darkly. "Don't worry, we're not going to bow to them. I say we cause as much destruction as possible."

"Isn't that dangerous?"

"It's the only way we'll get by."

Annie gulped.

The others started talking again, about ways to counteract the new regime with grim determination. Anne tuned them out, instead resting her head against the window and watching the country flash before her eyes. The day was heavily overcast, as though sharing her dread for the arrival at the school.

"You look ill."

Annie almost hit the ceiling as the sudden voice came from next to her. She whipped around and saw, while she had been lost in her thoughts, the blonde girl had moved to sit next to her.

The girl peered intently at her; Annie had the sensation she was being x-rayed with her pale eyes.

"Are you okay?" the girl inquired.

"Fine," Annie mumbled, looking down at her hands. "Just scared, I guess."

The girl didn't say anything for a minute, instead continuing to stare evenly at Annie.

"What's your name?" she asked.

"Annie."

"That's a nice name."

The compliment was so unexpected, that Annie's lips curved up into a small smile. "Thanks," she said. "What's yours?"

"Luna." The girl covered one of Annie's hands with her own in a reassuring manner. "Don't worry, Annie. You won't be alone in the castle, you know. It won't be pleasant this year while the Death Eaters are there, but we're not Death Eaters"

Annie stared at the hand covering her own, then at its owner. Luna looked so sincere, so genuine, and openly honest. She spoke truth like no one Anne had ever known – though she had to admit, that wasn't very many people.

But Annie still felt slightly more reassured by Luna's words. A sudden, unexpected flare of warmth spread through her body.

"I guess so," Annie murmured. She thought about it, and realised that she'd love to have someone like Luna around. She looked so nice, and she was definitely interesting – Anne was sure that even in the dark castle, Luna would be able to brighten things up, just by being there.

Like she was a ray of sunshine.

Her heart beating nervously, Anne liooked at Luna and asked, "Can I call you my friend, Luna?"

Luna's eyes sparkled – Anne was reminded of the ocean on a bright, clear day.

"Of course," she exclaimed happily. "I'd love to have another friend."

"And... I can talk to you about anything?"

Luna beamed. "Of course."

Annie found herself returning the smile and, for the first time since she realised she would have to attend Hogwarts, she wasn't completely dreading the experience.

As long as she had a friend like Luna with her, she was sure she could get through anything.

**********

a/n

luna is actually such a hard character to write i hope i'm doing her justice !!!

i hope this intro wasn't too boring! annie's a little reserved at the moment but she hasn't had much exposure to a lot of the world yet, she's just a little overwhelmed - that will change, though!

sorting and stuff next chapter!