8

n// this gif of daniel is so precious heS SUCH A DAd ugH

As Darla wailed, Elijah cradled her and tried his best to soothe her cries. She had been going at it for about two hours now, and he had a pounding headache because of it. Elijah knew why she was crying, but there was really nothing he could do about it. Klaus was in back in Mystic Falls with Rebekah for the weekend ― something about Katerina dying, so they left Darla with her uncle. It was proving to be more difficult than anticipated.

"I know you want your father, baby, but he's out of town right now. But I promise you that he will be home by the sun rises tomorrow, and you will have all the hugs and cuddles you desire. But right now I just need you to quiet down a little bit. Can you do that?"

But his reassurances proved to be to no prevail, as she kept crying. Eventually, he did the only thing he could think of. Call for help.

"Is Darla okay?"

Was the first thing that came out of Klaus' mouth. Sighing, he pulled the phone away from his ear and held it up to Darla, letting Klaus hear for himself.

"No matter what I do, brother, her crying won't stop."

"Put me on speaker phone."

Doing as instructed, he put Klaus on speaker and held it in between the crying babe and his chest.

"Hello, Darla," Klaus spoke with a smile. "It's me, daddy!"

Hearing his familiar voice, her cries died down a bit.

"I heard someone is giving their uncle Elijah a hard time," He chuckled. "Come on, darling, stop crying. I'll be home soon, I promise. It's okay, daddy is here."

And after a few more moments of Klaus' coddling, Darla stopped crying and focussed on the sound of her father's voice.

"I don't understand why you calm her down in such a manner, but at the moment I couldn't give a damn," Elijah chuckled, sounding relieved. "I'm just glad it's over."

"It's nothing out of the ordinary, brother. Babies are able to recognize their care takers and form relationships with them. Darla and I just have a very strong one. And even though she probably doesn't understand most of what I am saying, it doesn't matter. She knows my voice. And that's rather smart of her, no?"

"You and Darla are something else, that's for sure."

"Someone's just jealous because they can't compare to me and my expertise with children."

Elijah rolled his eyes but cracked a smile at his brother's newly found good moods and banter. Of course he was still prone to his infamous rampages and whatnot, but since finding Darla he had been a lot kinder to the world. And there was no doubt in his mind that the little girl in his arms is the sole reason of it.

"All I care about is having a moment in peace and quiet with my niece, thank you so very much."

"Don't rub it in, Elijah. You know how much I miss her."

"Then maybe you should have stayed instead of acting out your revenge upon a dying woman."

"Don't start with that, brother. Katerina's death is to no fault of mine, but old age. I'm only here to exact on my gloating rights."

"And to see Caroline Forbes."

"What Caroline and I do together is none of your concern, brother."

"I wonder how Darla would adapt to having a new mommy?" Elijah teased.

"Well Darla is six months old, I doubt she'd mind much." Klaus retorted. "Besides, after this, I'm never coming back to this wretched town again. Nothing but bad memories and a whole lot of people who wish me dead."

"Niklaus, I can assure you, that is the case with wherever you choose to reside."

"Ah, but on the contrary, brother. New Orleans has brought me nothing but joy since our arrival."

"Correction: Darla has brought you nothing but joy since our arrival."

"Apples and oranges, really. Either way, I just can't wait to come home to see my little girl."

"And I implore you to hurry up. She misses you just as much."

"She's daddy's girl. Of course she does."