Chapter 1

E P I G R A P H  :

"You fall in love with the most unexpected person at the most unexpected time."

***

                              A P R I L

"Ava! Kelly's here!" My mother called from downstairs.

It's my senior year at my high school, and I'm pretty stoked to be leaving soon. I just hated everything.

The cafeteria food is disgusting, half of the teachers are basically mean, and don't even get me started on our uniforms.

We have to wear these navy blue long sleeve shirts that has the school's logo on it, and these cream-coloured pants with black shoes.

My friends, Sara and Kelly, and my boyfriend, James, were pretty much the only things in my school that I didn't actually hate.

I quickly put on my stupid uniform, tie my hair into a ponytail, add some makeup onto my face and head downstairs.

Waiting for me at the door is Kelly. She is also wearing her school uniform and has her long black hair up into a stylish messy bun.

"Hey, girl! Come on. We have to go to Sara's." She says to me.

"Mom? We're leaving-- wait a second...where's my phone?" I said, checking the pockets of my pants.

I turn back, heading upstairs quickly into my room. It's seven forty, and we have to be at Sara's house in ten minutes, to walk together and make it to the school by eight-fifteen.

And for some odd reason, I can't find my damn phone.

I search my bathroom, my dresser, my bed, even my closet, and still no sign of it.

"Ava! We gotta go, or we'll be late!" Kelly yelled impatiently.

"Okay, I'm coming!" I yelled back, and I leave my room, heading downstairs once again.

"Mom? I can't find my phone. Have you seen it?" I call out to her, quickly putting on my comfy black sketchers and grabbing my backpack.

My mother emerges from the kitchen wearing her 'Kiss the cook' apron. I'm guessing she's making breakfast for my stepfather Raymond, who is still fast asleep.

They were arguing last night, but I guess everything is fine now if she's making him breakfast. My stepdad adores her. He practically worships the ground she walks on, so I'm not surprised that they worked out whatever they were fighting about.

He should know. A happy wife is a happy life.

"No sweetheart, I haven't seen it. You and Kelly should get going. You can live without it for a few hours. Ray and I will keep an eye out for it. Okay?" My mother replied in a lovely tone.

"Okay, mom. Bye." I say, kissing her lightly on her cheek.

"Bye, Mrs. Taylor!" Kelly says, kissing her on her cheek also.

"Bye, you two! Have a good day at school!" My mother says, as we open the front door and leave.