twenty-one: there's no need for you to sit on me

⠀⠀⠀⠀"How was going to the police," Ryland questions as we sit on my bed studying for tomorrow's final. It's currently Monday and Ryland and I have finished one exam.

Only four more days of school, thankfully.

"It was alright," I shrug. "They didn't say much except that they'll follow up on the leads and call us when they have something. And I bet the detail out there is bored out of his mind. James Turner won't come near the house if he knows there's police here." I sigh knowing the detail is only somewhat helpful.

"Yeah, if he knows the police is at your house, he's going to be smart enough to stay away," she agrees as I sigh.

"Moving on from this dreary subject," I start. "You excited for summer?" I change the subject to a much happier, well, kind of, subject.

"Yes," she smiles widely. "I'm excited to go to North Carolina with you." She happy dances causing me to laugh to the point of tears.

After a few minutes, I sober up before speaking. "Speaking of which, the week we leave you're going to spend the night before we fly out, right?"

The trip isn't for another five weeks, but it's always a good idea to plan ahead.

"Yes, I am," her smile falters slightly.

"What's wrong?" I question closing my math book. I don't even need to study for math.

"It's just," she pauses looking around the room. "It's just that Conner will be moving out of state soon," her eyes land on a picture of young Conner and I that sits on my desk.

"I know," I reply sadly.

Conner is set to move to Washington in September to go professional in soccer. That's only just under four months away, sadly. But I'm happy that he's pursuing his dreams, but I just got here and I feel like I'm losing him again.

"I'm going to miss him," I sigh knowing that she's going to miss him as well.

So much for changing the subject to a happier one.

"Me, too," she pulls her knees to her chin.

They've only been on one date, but I can tell they care very much about each other. I'm glad that Conner got the nerve to ask her on a date.

"We could always visit him. That will make for fun road trips," I smile slightly trying to lighten the mood.

"I guess," she rests her chin on her knees.

Ryland's phone rings breaking the silence we were sitting in. She searches for the phone finding it under a pillow.

"Hello?" She questions.

I gather my book and notebook taking them to my desk not wanting to interrupt the phone conversation.

"I forgot. I'm sorry, mom," I glance over my shoulder to find her running a hand through her hair.

I pretend to busy myself by organizing my already neat desk. I stack my books and pens neatly.

"Right now?" She sighs.

I walk over to my bed once more concluding that the conversation will be ending soon.

"I'll be over as soon as I can." She unfolds her legs standing up from my bed. "I love you, too, mom," she replies hanging up.

I raise an eyebrow questioning her.

"I forgot I have to watch Katelyn today." I nod my head understandingly.