Chapter 57

Alarmed at seeing colour drain from Prithvi's face, the man who had spoken first instantly scolded his friend, "Don't make up rumours,"

He then turned to Prithvi with a kind and understanding glimmer in his expression.

"There isn't any such news….we've only heard that there was an accident. There are only one or two casualties, and those who've survived are being treated in the town hospital. You should go there right now….I'm sure everything will be all right," he said considerately.

Numb with shock and fear, Prithvi only gave a curt nod, not trusting himself to speak sensibly.

She was standing at the door to the temple with a tiny lamp in hand, looking so utterly beautiful….so purely untouched….so innocently enchanting that for an insane second he had wondered if she was even human….

He blindly began walking back towards the parking lot, leaving the two men behind. He had to reach the hospital…..

She was holding the certificate to herself and stammering out the reason for her amusement, turning redder with every passing moment, "His love story….its so famous…one of the most- most ro-romantic legends in our country….that's why I laughed. I'm really sorry….I won't ever laugh about it again."

For a whole minute, he struggled to remember where he'd parked his bike.

He was on the terrace, opening the door to go back inside. And after fighting with himself for the millionth time, he'd finally given into urge to look at her, swearing to himself that it would be just that one time. She was tossing a white, transparent cloth over the clothesline, and as their eyes met, an ancient, dangerous desire had bolted through his veins. And even through the distance, he had seen the rosy blush that had spread across her skin, and he'd known a second of primitive triumph…

He wandered amongst the parked vehicles in a sickening daze, staring at the motorcycles, trying to recollect what the damned machine looked like.

"I was looking for you…..I want to celebrate the festival with you."

"I am not interested in taking part in the madness outside, so leave me alone,"

"Prithvi, I'm sorry about what I said before,".

"Don't be. It's not like I care whether you're here or not,".

At last, a big, mean-looking bike sparked a vague memory, and he moved towards it. He wanted to hurry, but his feet seemed to have gigantic boulders tied to them.

He was walking away from her, and then she was saying, "I'm coming with you whether you like it or not. I am not going to let you be alone, how many times must I tell you that."