Chapter 59

Even when the wonderfully aching pressure on her lips had eased, Nandini didn't make any attempt to draw away, and they stood locked in each other's arms, their lips merely a breath away from each other.

But the drops of rain were feeling heavier now, and the wind had become increasingly cold.

Shivering a little, Nandini pulled back slightly and tugged at Prithvi's arm to draw him towards a huge shady tree that was some feet away. But he shook his head adamantly and pulled her back towards himself.

Firmly ensconced in his embrace, she amusedly reconciled herself to getting drenched. Anyway, it definitely wasn't the first time she was going to get wet in the rains and she had always enjoyed the experience.

As the rain pelted her head and back, she murmured, ""Did you really tell me all of that? Is this for real?"

He moved backwards and looked down at her with a wicked grin. "Very real. Want me to prove it?" he asked.

Laughing, she leaned backwards to dodge his onslaught and chuckled at his disappointment.

Then she returned to his embrace and rested her face against his chest.

"That marble idol of Krishna you'd given me…..Why didn't you tell me that you'd made it yourself?"

"Who told you that? And anyway, what difference would it have made?" he demanded casually.

"It would have made all the difference in the world to me," she said indignantly. "If Mochi bhaiya hadn't told me the truth and given the idol back to me -"

"Mochi gave you the idol back?" he asked, surprised.

Nandini nodded and smiled.

"You'll keep it?" he asked hesitantly.

She nodded again, but then a cloud passed over her expression. "But I can't keep the anklets…..they're too expensive."

"I'm not taking them back," he said flatly. "Throw them away if you wish."

"You know I won't do that," she said exasperatedly, looking up at him. "But how can I keep them….what if ma finds out?"

"Tell her those are fake stones," he shrugged.

"And what if she - "

"I'm sure you'll figure a way out," he said impatiently,

Realising that he wasn't going to tolerate any more discussion on the topic, she resignedly held back from saying anything else.

After a while, she softly said, "It feels like a dream"

"What?"