Chapter 18- Willows [Vikk]

He runs to me, lifts me up, hugs me. I hug back hesitantly.

"What are you doing here?"

He puts me down, smiling widely.

"I had to deliver a message from Red." His face falls. "They... they're planning an attack."

"An attack? When? Come on, lets go somewhere private."

My heart beats fast as I take his arm and pull him towards the ladder. We climb down and sprint across the sand.

We take shelter at the edge of the lagoon, behind a small cluster of trees. One of the trees is a willow, with its branches curling and curving downwards, creating a beautiful shelter for us both. The setting sunlight filters in through the leaves, creating greenish-pinkish patterns on the dirt floor.

"Oh my god, I missed you." He says, taking my hand.

"I missed you too, Lachlan."

"I'm so, so sorry about having you locked up. It- it was the only thing I could think of to get preston to not kill you. I'm glad you escaped, though. You didn't even need my help."

I sigh.

"Well, I couldn't have got away if it weren't for... for my team coming. I'm sorry about choco. He was kind to me."

We both sit in silence for a bit, hands locked together.

"So... the attack?" I finally say. He looks at me sadly.

"They've planned it for sunrise in two days. That's all I know. I'm scared, vikk. What if you get hurt?"

I swallow, looking at his innocent face. Here we go. I'm sorry, Lachy...

"Lachlan.I- This is getting to be too dangerous. I love you... but I can't bear to see you get hurt." His face falls, blue eyes suddenly dim. "We can't carry on like this. Don't come over here again. Please. My team, they'll kill you. I- I'm going to see you at sunrise, anyway."

I turn away. Tears are starting to pool in my eyes. I can see he's shocked by my words, too. Oh, Lachlan. I love you. This is for the best... you'll be safer this way.

"But, vikk..."

"Lachlan, please. Don't put yourself in danger for me. I can't... I can't..."

Tears are streaming down my face now, mirroring his.

"I don't understand..."

He says quietly, looking up at me.

My heart snaps in two. I fling my arms around him and kiss him.

Our tears mingle on our lips.

"Lachlan." I say when we break away. "Go. Please don't-please don't come back."

"I love you, vikk."

He says, standing up. I don't answer, and close my eyes.

I hear his footsteps in the brush, slowly fading away.

I'm so, so sorry.

My tears drip down onto the soil, darkening it. I tug at my band, spinning it around my wrist. Oh, Lachlan. Why couldn't you be a blue?

The noise of his walking goes completely, and I'm left sitting beneath the branches of the willow. The sun finally sets,

What have I done?