Chapter 19- The plan [Vikk]

I walk back slowly across the sand. The sun is dipping below the horizon, but my eyes are still red and puffy. The others are in the Cabana, presumably planning the attack. I suppose I'll go see them in the morning.

My steps are defeated, heavy across the lagoon shore. I know I've done the right thing, but still its pains me to think of him. He must hate me. I would hate me.

I'm going to see him again soon. If we both survive the sunrise battle, then I can try and make it up to him.

I picture his blonde hair, sweeping across his face. Those blue eyes, shining in the moonlight.

Filled with pain.

Filled with pain I gave him.

I reach my incomplete house, curl up on the bed.

Tears drip onto the pillow. I look up, through the blue-stained glass and out into the stars. They are still beautiful, still pearly white in their blanket of blue. The moon is hidden from the position I'm in.

Footsteps sound outside my door. I look up.

Has Lachlan come back?

Mitch enters quietly, shutting the door behind him.

"Hey, Vikk. Are you okay?"

He looks at my tear stained face pitifully and sits down on the edge of my bed.

"Did he leave you?"

I shake my head. Its a tiny action, barely visible, but he sees it.

I look hmm in the eye.

"It-It's not safe for us t-to do this anymore. I couldn't bear to see him g-get hurt."

My voice is scratchy from crying. Mitch shakes his head, eyes closed.

"Oh, vikk. I know it's hard. It really is. But he loved you. And I can see you still love him."

My lip trembles. I'm close to tears. Mitch reaches over, pulls me into a hug.

"We were silly, Jerome and I, you and Lachlan. We let ourselves fall in love when it's all been doomed from the start. But now we're here, we've got carry it through."

I start to cry into his shoulder.

"If you and Lachlan survive the Sunrise Battle, then you make it up to him, 'kay? I know you can get through this."

I hiccup a little, trying to stop my sobbing.

"Know this, Vikk. We're all reluctant to fight. However violent everyone here may seem, all we really are, in Lachlan's own words, people in a bad situation. It won't take much to turn us around. I think you and Lachlan could just be the ones to so that."

I sniffle, slowly leaning away from Mitch.

"You-you think we could do that?"

He nods.

"But first, you have to talk to him. I'll do what I can in the sunrise battle to make sure you both survive, but its up to you. Now, Are you ready to come to the Cabana? Rob would like to speak to you about tactics. Him and Mat are planning something, and I don't know what."

I wipe my hand across my face and take a breath.

"Yeah, I think I can come."

Mitch grins.

"Okay, then, Lover-boy. Let's go."

He gets up, and I follow his lead. We walk along the shore of the Lagoon.

"Vikk... don't tell anyone about this, okay? I-I don't think Rob would... approve..."

"Okay."

Mitch leaves me at the foot of the ladder, and leaps across his bridge to get to his own hut. I carefully climb it, up to the main floor of the cabana.

Rob and Mat are there, sitting at the table, studying some plans.

"Hi, Vikk. Thanks for escorting the red back. I was going to get Mitch to, but it's good you're putting in some effort."

I feel like this is a taunt, but I'm too tired to really react. Mat gives a nod in my direction, and then points to a chair.

"Have a seat, Vikk. I assume Mitch told you about the Sunrise Battle? Well, here's what you have to do."

He points a large scroll, open on the table. Its a map of spawn.

"Your position is here. We need you to stay here and fight off any reds that come at you."

"That's it? Okay, I can do that. But, what about you? There's so many more of them than us, and we can't ambush them. What will you do?"

Rob smirks and glances at mat.

"We've got something planned."

He doesn't continue, and I know that I probably shouldn't ask any further.

"Okay, then, Vikk. You got that? Well, that's really all we needed you for. You can go back now."

I stand up, and leave the cabana, a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. What would their plan be?

Unease swirls around my mind. There's something very sinister about that plan. But I just can't put my finger on it.

At least my mind is distracted from Lachlan, for now.

I glance up, noticing the moon's height. It must be midnight.

Tomorrow will be the sunrise battle.

Blue team will be ready.

But will I be?

*A/N: Okay Tbh i really don't like this chapter its all so forced i'm sorry it's bad... but on the other hand THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR 2000 READS OMFG!! Wow seriously i am so grateful you guys are amazing.*