Chapter 15

"Hey!" I called out and he turned his head. He looked at me with those familiar green eyes and turned away, still walking. I jogged a bit and was walking beside him. "Why did you break that girl's heart?" I asked looking at him, trying hard to keep pace.

He scoffed and then looked at me. "You're upset that I broke up with her?" He asked incredulously.

"I'm indifferent about it." Saying that felt like a lie. But with my current lying habits, who knew if that was fact or fiction. "I'm upset that you hurt her. Why'd you leave her so soon?" I knew I had no right in asking, but I've learned to always try. Even if I was being out-of-line and downright nosy.

"I was experimenting something. And I think it worked." He said nonchalantly.

"You used her for an experiment? And you don't care that you might have her hurt at all?" I was in disbelief. Could he really be that bad? Maybe I was always just lying to myself about him. This is Clyde Wood.

"I didn't break her heart Alex. Girls like that only care about appearance. More their own than any others. So why should I care about emotions?" He said simply, still very calm. Lucky for me for having caught him in a good mood.

"I'm not sure what you mean about the appearance thing."

"You wouldn't. You're not a part of all of that. Listen. Girls like her like being the center of attention. They're cheap sluts, who try and sleep with guys to have stories. Knowing that b!tch. She'd probably was glad that I broke up with her. Which, I wasn't dating that skank to begin with. It was an experiment. Since I broke up with her, she get's more attention." He said smoothly, like he always knew this was how it worked, but he still was a part of it. "Pathetic."

I wasn't really sure what to say. I was still having a hard time letting that sink in, and the girl didn't look too happy to be left. "You still shouldn't use girls as test monkeys! What were you experimenting?" My tone came off as rude, but I wanted to get my original point across.

"Do you really think you're the right person to be standing up for someone else?" He looked at me, his green orbs piercing into my soul. It grabbed my soul and choked it, revealing its every fear, every feeling. It configured every inch of my being until it was dead. Well maybe not that dramatic, but I think that's the best way to describe his eyes when they were staring into yours. "You're not one of her whore friends. And not even that, if I say something even remotely mean to your b!tchy self you burst into tears."

I was taken back, he always knew where to hit, but I wasn't done. "I will stick up for someone who's in tears because I know how it feels." I said quietly, trying to calm myself.

"The logic in there is lacking." He smirked in a make-fun-of way. "You don't seem that stupid to miss the flaw in that so why really are you sticking up for her? Are you just trying to find a reason to talk to me?" His smirk grew, and my cheeks flushed just a little bit. Where the hell did that even come from?

How the hell did he even get that from me trying to reprimand him! It was like he was playing with my mind, making accusations to turn this on me. There wasn't anything to turn in the first place! It was like a wife asking her husband for some of the ice-cream he was eating, him saying no, and she accusing him of saying no because she was too fat.

"What are you even talking about!?" I tripped on the sidewalk, but managed to fix myself. I couldn't stay focused with how jumbled my mind had just gotten.

He laughed once. "You're always crawling back to me, no matter how much I shut you down." We were nearing my house and I was still not so sure what he had just done. How did the conversation even come here?

"I don't want you, you heartless jerk. I hate you! I thought I made that clear enough already." Dammit me. I was trying to make a point, and in the spirit of not looking like I did want him, which I didn't, I sort of made a refernce to me hitting him. I still needed to apologize for that. Eventually.

I was turning towards the entrance of my house, completely flustered.

"I was experimenting whether or not you would get jealous. And you did." I turned around, only to see his back as he continued walking. Experimenting what? And when did I get jealous?

I walked into my room, and just layed on the bed. Part of me wanted to cry, but I wasn't feeling hurt, just embarrassed. Even though I did not talk to him to be friends again. And then it hit me.

The experiment was about his girlfriend. What the hell?!?!!?! I wasn't jealous of them! Not at all! Not a single ounce in my body felt jealous of his relationship. I sat in bed frustrated. I took out my phone, not liking that he was trying to go on his way with that thought. I called his number and stood up, pacing my floor.

"Crawling back to me?" I could hear the smirk in his voice when he picked up.

"No! I called because I realized what you said." I was shouting, but I felt infuriated. "I was never jealous of your relationship Clyde." I hung up before he had the chance to say something else.

I still didn't feel settled. I layed back down to clear my throbbing brain. After a few minutes thoughts clearly came to me. Why the hell would he care if I was jealous or not? Why was that the sole purpose of his experiment?

And then it all clicked. Clyde wanted to get back at me for slapping him, that's why he didn't mention it. He had this crazy idea that by making me jealous, it would be payback. However I didn't feel jealous, but he could believe whatever. And that whole crawling back to him thing was probably some type of reverse spchology. He doesn't want to admit that he's sorry for what he did too and in reality he wants to be my friend!

I smiled to myself with this thought. He just had a hard time making friends. I couldn't help but remember all the fun times we had. He was a good friend when he wasn't being rude. We laughed about sandwiches, he saved me from 2 possible rapists, and he comforted me in a bathroom stall. Not to mention how he, sort of not really, opened up to me about his past. He was beyong drunk, and if his mom hadn't told me the story, what he said would have probably not made any sense. But in that night, I saw him breakdown and got to comfort him.

I smiled at all these things. He was still suffering from his past and I was always being too hard on him. Maybe he just needed a friend to accept his temper tantrums.

I left my room to join the world of the living much content with these new ideas. And even thinking about this, the back of my mind had to keep telling itself that it wasn't jealous of Clyde with that other girl.

Author's Note: Dang it Alex! You were so close with your realization but yet so very far away. His motives were not quite that.

And she cannot stay upset with anyone to save her life. Really Alex? After you promised to stay away this time?

And what's with this jealous thing? Could she really have been jealous of Clyde's relationship?

With this chapter we are unofficially 1/2 done with this story. WOO! Thanks for reading, I love how your face looks when you stare intently at that screen. ;D Comment and Vote faithful readers!