twenty-two: there's nothing further we can do

⠀⠀⠀⠀I quickly pack a bag of clothes to spend the night at Ryland's. Today is Friday meaning that I'm done with all my exams, and it's summer break!

The time has finally come!

It has been a long couple of weeks since I have arrived in California. The whole meeting my brother and father, my brother being a jerk, meeting Ryland, meeting Jackson, dates, pranks, Conner being nice, the unknown caller and texter, going to the police, and Conner and Ryland going on dates.

Speaking of the police, they called me a few days ago giving me a report on what they had found out. I had just finished my Literature exam when they called...

As I pack my belongings, my phone buzzes on the table where I had placed it after I turned in my exam. I glance at the screen to find an unknown number.

I panic slightly answering the phone. "H-hello?" I question knowing it could be James Turner.

Fortunately, I am not met by the voice of James Turner, but by Lieutenant Johnson's voice. "Is this Marley Parker?"

"Yes, sir." I sling my bag over my shoulder pulling out my keys. I had driven myself to school as Conner is away on his senior class trip. He'll be back Thursday for his graduation on Friday.

"This is Lieutenant Johnson. How are you?" I sling my keys around my finger nervously.

"I'm fine. How are you?" I politely ask even though I wanted him to get to the point of the call. I had been waiting four days for this call.

"I'm great, thanks for asking." He pauses. "I called to report our findings that deal with your stalker." He pauses again making me internally groan as I want to know what they found.

"We found that James Turner, as you had stated you knew was your stalker, is not in California. There are no records of him ever leaving North Carolina," he continues.

My heart sinks at this news, though I know it is him. There's no way it isn't. That sneaky, sneaky man.

"In fact, there's no evidence indicating that he was even released from jail, Miss Parker."

I blink at the statement. He's supposedly still in jail, but I don't believe it.

"We also could not trace the number that you gave us. We believe it is a burner phone." He states. "We do believe that someone is messing with you, but there is no evidence that it is James Turner," he coughs before continuing. "We'll be monitoring your phone and if the number calls again, we will be notified and will try to trace the caller," he pauses. "We advise that you be cautious, but there's nothing further we can do."

I stop walking halfway through the parking lot at his news.

There's nothing further we can do.

So that's it? They're just going to let this person stalk me? No, no, no, no. They're going to let my mother's killer to continue to stalk me?

"I-okay," I stammer out not voicing my thoughts. I hang up the phone quickly after.

When I had arrived home, the police detail was gone. Nowhere to be seen.