Chapter Six

Chapter Six 

                                    ~~~~~ Alex - Too much to handle ~~~~~

     The day progressed slowly. Once again I found myself looking into her beautiful deep blue eyes just moments ago. I sit here, trying to focus on what the teacher is saying, but it’s impossible. She won't let me. Her eyes won’t let me free. They have me under a spell that I cannot break.

Creative writing sounded like fun when I first saw it on the schedule, but now I can't even focus. And then, I see her kissing someone else again in my mind. I ball my hands into fists with so much force that they instantly turn white. Anger flows through my veins as I replay the scene once again.

'Why are so mad and why do you care if she has a boyfriend?' I don't. 'Then I ask again, why are you so mad?' I'm not mad!

"Lying to yourself never works. You can say, and do as you want, but the feelings are there. You like her more than you admit to yourself. You are falling for her and there is nothing you can do about it now. She has you hooked." says the teacher grabbing my attention as she reads from a book. I stop thinking about the girl and listen to the teacher. She puts the book down and looks at the class.

"How many people have tried to suppress what they feel for each other for fear of falling in love? More importantly, how many have succeeded and have completely forgotten about that person?" she pauses for answers as she sits on the edge of her desk.

"I don't think that's possible." says a girl beside me. She sits lazily in her desk looking interested in the topic. The teacher tells her to proceed so she does.

"Well if you are trying to suppress a feeling that means that you have them in the first place. You can say you don't, but you do. You can try to run away from them, but they are still there, they will always be there whether you like it not. That person that you have feelings for will always be there in the back of your every thought." her names Layla. She looks straight ahead as if she were remembering something.  

She looks and sounds Middle Eastern. She did not have a heavy accent but an accent was definitely there. Her eyes were light brown and her face was almost childish. She spoke like she knew what she was talking about, like she herself has went through what she just said.

After creative writing came gym. The last class of the day. After I put on basketball shorts and a white shirt that I thankfully remembered to pack, I went to join the class.

"Miss Santiago, you are just in time for my special semester competition." the teacher had a clipboard and was assigning patterns. I had no partner since the class was uneven, but I didn't mind. I like working alone.

The first thing on Mr. De la Rasa's competition list was who could do the most laps around the gym. He had us stretch and then blew his whistle signaling for us to start. I started out with a slow jog, pacing myself while the others immediately starting running or sprinting. 

After a while people were dropping out. In the end there were just 3 people running. No one wanted to give up. The two guys were tired and sweating like crazy while I just focused on running. Minutes later the teacher blew his whistle. I was the only one running.

Next on his list were jumping jacks. The test was going on smoothly until I saw her. She walked in late and as soon as she walked in, our eyes met. We stood there just staring at each other for what felt like hours.