Ellis: The Aftermath

Chapter 49

Chapter 49

The Aftermath

Ellis

"You heard, didn't you?" I said. Before the door closed behind Astrid and Calista, I realized they had arrived in my room, since Lula probably let them in because she knew them.

I interpreted their expressions. They knew. They heard. (Everybody did.)

They nodded slowly to confirm it. They didn't need to say a single syllable or a word. They knew.

"I'm- we're- so sorry."

I began to cry and Astrid and Calista closed the distance between us, wrapping their arm around my shaking shoulders.

-

"RISE AND SHINE!"

Astrid had yanked my bedsheets from me, wrenching them out of my grip with her super cheerleading strength, and hopped onto my bed by jumping onto me.

"OW!"

"Wake up," greeted Astrid cheerfully, poking me in the arm as I kicked her out and rolled over, groaning and attempting to bury my face into my sheets, not willing to brave the day. After all, I had been doing so well in not doing anything for the last week.

"Go away."

"Now that's not the way you should start your morning," quipped Astrid, her eyes manic, wide and bride, never losing it's naive charm. 

"I just want to eat, watch Netflix and sleep!"

"So do I," Calista added, "But you don't see me lazing around like a potato sack so get up and do something productive, Els. It's scary to see you slack, unheard of- practically."

"Shut up," I snapped at her.

"And so it expresses an emotion other than depression," Calista noted, nodding her head seriously, "Progress."

"You're not helping," Astrid irately pointed out, rubbing her temples. "Look, Ellis, you barely left your bed all week. You've called in sick with school and all you do is sit here, watch TV, cry and sleep."

Calista moved in sync with Astrid, backing her up. "You've missed so much school that I think even Principal Sullivan is wondering whether you'd gone insane."

I sighed, knowing it was rather Bella Swan-esque to hole myself up in my own room and wallow in my own depression when the Ellis Chan I had come to built would beat myself over the head for being so pathetic- especially over a freaking boy. Especially over Jem freaking Leighton.

But he's just not Jem to me, isn't me? Not anymore. 

What is he to you, Ellis? A sweet voice hums inside of me. He's just not a boy I hated, neither he is a boy whom I once called a friend, but neither was he the boy I loved.