Chapter 17

Camila's POV

"It's snowing," Lauren murmurs softly, her curious green eyes venturing over the cold, wet snow beneath our boots. Crisp, white, and shining, the powdery material covered and transformed the old, dull-colored Hogwarts castle into a beautiful landscape of wonder and mystery. The sight itself was beautiful, even though I had almost seen the snow since I was a child.

"I can almost tell it's your first time seeing snow," I smile as I watch the raven-haired girl observe the powdery material with a small laugh, her beautiful green eyes twinkle with amazement. I bend down next to the slightly taller girl, scooping a small amount of the cold, wet snow and holding it closely for her to see.

"Yeah," She replies, "I've always read about what the weather would be like out of my dorm. Like the rain, the sun, the snow. All of it, I've always wondered..."

I shake my head and sit over the cold snow, ignoring the wetness seeping through the bottom of my robe, "You won't have to wonder anymore, Lauren. The girls and I are going to make up all those years of being locked up in there, okay?"

I turn in time to see her nod slowly, eyes still looking up at the thin snowflakes slowly floating down towards the ground. I turn away once again and play with the collar of my Gryffindor uniform shirt, thinking about today's events carefully.

We had just left Hagrids place a while ago after both of them spoke for over two hours. They were getting along very well, and what surprised me the most was the fact that Hagrid agreed to keep Lauren a secret with no hesitation.

Then after that, we ate inside the dining hall and returned back outside for some fresh air, only to find out that within an hour of our meal, it began to snow. This was strange because Christmas had officially ended more than a week ago...Then again, Christmas was an official one month holiday in Hogwarts. It was only after January Christmas was officially over.

I'm interrupted by my unimportant thoughts as I hear Lauren sniff from next to me, clearing her throat quietly. I take a small glance at her and decide to ruin the only moment of silence out of pure concern, "Are you okay?"

Lauren's eyes meet mine briefly and I'm taken back with how darker they had become, a bit sadder to me. The green-eyed beauty doesn't answer my question right away, only sits there, still playing with the snow under her.

Until she finally decides to speak quietly, "I really didn't want to say anything at first, Camila. But...I really don't want to disappoint all of you if I'm sent back to my own dorm a few days from now."

I swallow hard, "Look, I know we're taking a small risk here, okay? I know that. But as long as we keep you away from Dumbledore then you'll be okay. We agreed on hiding you in our dorm and giving you this fake name and everything to keep from showing your true identity. As far as like, three people you've met know, you're Amber Steels."

She girl chuckles, only giving me a small nod. "I know, Camz. But I just wanted to let you know that. The farther your idea is of me staying forever with you girls, the better. I really don't want to upset you guys if it ever happens, ya know?"

"Oh, yeah." I nod, "I totally get it."

I dismiss her with a small smile, looking down at my cold hands briefly. I wasn't gonna lie. The fact that she would remind me that her stay could end any second from now sort of upset me. She shouldn't have been thinking about leaving in the first place when this whole time all I wanted to do was distract her and get her mind off of it all.

"Should we get back inside, then?"

My eyes snap up quickly in time to see her slowly getting up, her green eyes looking down at my dark ones in approval. I mumble a response and begin to get up, dusting myself off and silently cursing as I feel the back of my jeans completely clinging to my skin all cold and wet.