18| Suspicions ✔️

***
Should I smile because
you are my friend . . .
Or should I cry because that's all we'll ever be?

***

I awoke with a start and noticed I was drenched with sweat again. Mercifully, I hadn't yelled in my sleep and disturbed the other pack members. I sat up rubbing my bleary eyes.

"Are you okay now?" A voice rang out in the darkness.

I nearly gasped when a warm hand wrapped around mine. Squinting into the darkness, I tried to figure out who the person was.

"It's just me. I saw you twitching and kicking about violently in your bed and was worried." Ashton spoke comfortingly.

"How did you know?" I said hoarsely. The dream wasn't completely off my mind and I was still shaking as recollected it.

"I was working late in my office and I decided to get some water for myself from the kitchen when I crossed your room and found you were pretty restless. However, that isn't important now." He said, "Was it another nightmare?"

I nodded as I held on his hand tightly. If he found that uncomfortable, he was careful not to show it.

"It seemed so real. Too real for just a nightmare," I said.

"Want to talk about it?" He asked me kindly.

"I couldn't make any sense of it either. It was as if, I was going through it myself; like I was the girl and I was seeing and feeling everything through her eyes." I explained. "Weird isn't it? What the hell would I be doing in a dungeon of all places?"

He shrugged. "Dreams can be bad. But I don't think they are always true. It is probably because of your past. But don't worry," he added, "You have us now, don't you?"

I smiled warmly at his assurance.  He could be the perfect gentleman, when he chose to be. His mate would be extremely lucky when she found him. He was everything a girl would wish for. Why wasn't he mine?

Ashton got up, "I should probably leave. You seem better now..."

"No, stay." I told him. I don't know what made me say that but I found his mere presence comforting. "Please." I added, when he looked hesitated.

He looked at me surprised but thankfully agreed without much of a fuss.

I snuggled up to him and I felt his arms immediately wrap around me. Slipping my hand in his, I leaned against his broad shoulder enjoying his warmth and the silence around us. I was wondering about the nightmare when a thought struck me.

"Ashton, do you think my dreams could mean anything? Is this girl whom I dream about someone I know?" I asked him after a while.

He looked down at me thoughtfully, "It could be. But do you know of anyone who is being held captive?"

My forehead creased in confusion until I remembered, "It could be Arie. Though if it really is her, I will hunt down her captor and roast him alive."

Something flashed through Ashton's eyes when I mentioned her; but it was gone before I could decipher it.

"Kiara," he spoke to me like I was a child, "do you really think after all these years, you'll still find her?"

"Why not?" I cried indignantly, "Don't you think so?"

He said nothing but stared into the darkness avoiding my gaze.

I frowned. Did people really think Arie wouldn't come back?