Sacrifices

Chapter 39

(Darcy's POV)

I opened my eyes to watch the clock in my car change to midnight. I couldn't believe that it had already been a day since Sebastian was born. He was such a beautiful child with such deep blue eyes that spoke to me. I shook my head. I didn't know for sure how long I had been sitting in this parking lot for, Probably an hour or two and honestly I didn't think I wanted to get out of the car.

I had left Jemma's side it was with the intention of coming here tonight to talk to Charlotte but now that I was here, now that I had actually arrived at her place, I could not make myself go through with the decision I had taken.

It was probably for the best, I kept telling myself the whole way here. Jemma and the baby needed me. And after having listened to what Jemma had to say and her concerns, I knew that realistically, well they made sense.

It all started the previous night, as Charlotte was finally heading home to rest, she had simply reminded me that I needed to talk to Jemma about possibly getting the DNA test done before they were cleared to leave the hospital. But, as I walked into her hospital room that night after having safely put Charlotte in an Uber, I had found Jemma on her hodpital bed with the child in hand crying her eyes out.

"Jemma, what's wrong?" I had asked, concerned that maybe she was hurting and so was ready to call a nurse.

"Everything is falling apart and I don't know what to do and I'm scared that my baby won't have a father once we do the DNA." She cried even harder, her tears traveling down her cheeks as they landed on the new born. I took him from her and she let go.

"Are you saying the child is not mine?" I glanced down at the sleeping baby in my hand as I asked.

"I don't know James, to be honest, I don't know but I'm scared to find out, because if it comes downs to you not being the father then he'll have no one else, he'll just be a bastard." She begged me with her eyes as her cries became louder.

"Where's the other guy?" I asked as I walked over to the basket to put down the sleeping child. I then looked over at her, she shrugged.

"I don't know where he's at, he was just a one night stand." I had then frowned.

"Wait, I thought you said it was your ex boyfriend?"

She shook her head as she reached for my arm to pull me next to her. "I lied because I didn't want you to think badly of me," she kept her eyes trained on our locked fingers as she slightly smiled. "You are all I have left James, you are all we have left." She then lifted her eyes.

"Jemma," I started as I tried to pull my hand away but she held on. "I have to know the truth."

"You always said you'll take care of me, that you'll protect me. You made me a promise James, and I want you to keep that promise not to me, but to this innocent child." She looked over at Sebastian. I shook my head.

"Jesus, what you're asking of me.." My words trailed then as my thoughts shifted to Charlotte, her beautiful smiling face appearing in my vision.

"James, the chances of the baby being yours are greater than him not being yours but there's still this slight chance and I know nothing will be the same once you do this DNA test, nothing will ever be the same."