18|Revealed

Manik's POV

Delhi, 31 December 2015,
7:30 pm

It's dark outside. Mom is sitting on the couch with Sujata aunty. She is weeping uncontrollably. It hurts me to see her like this. As I watch her, tears start streaming down my own face. I quickly grab a handkerchief from my school bag and wipe my tears off. Abhi places a hand on my shoulder and gives me a small smile.

"Uncle aa jayenge yaar, tu ro mat." He says quietly. I just nod at him.

"Haan, Manik. Please tension mat lo." Soha mutters.

"Dad kahan hain!" I yelp, my voice breaking at the end.

Both Soha and Abhi come closer and give me helpless looks.

"Sarika, sambhal apne aap ko. Tu aise roegi toh Manik ko kaun sambhalega?" Sujata aunty tries to console mom.

"Maine Vikram se kaha tha, uss Praveen Singhania se door rahe. Lekin nahi, ye aur inki zidd." Mom cries into her hands.

"Shaant ho ja. Vikram bhai sahab aa jayenge. Suraj gae hai na. Kuch galat nahi hoga."

Just then, we hear the sound of cars coming to a stop at our gate. Mom quickly gets up and runs to the door, followed by the rest of us.

Suraj uncle comes in with a bunch of cops. His face is ashen.

"Kuch pata chala? Vikram kahan hai?" Mom croaks.

Suraj uncle remains silent. Tears start rolling down his cheeks. His eyes are bloodshot. He takes his head into his hands.

"Kya hua? Vikram bhai sahab?" Sujata aunty moves forward.

Uncle looks up and shakes his head. "Vikram ki body mili hai." He murmurs and breaks down completely.

NO. NO. NO. It can't be. Dad can't... dad is not.....I watch as Sujata aunty clutches her face tightly. There is a shriek and mom collapses to the floor.

"MOM!" I yell and wake up with a start. Looking around feverishly, I realise I had dozed off waiting for mom to wake up in her hospital room. The cabin is plunged in darkness. Wiping the sweat off my forehead, I get up and grab a glass of water from the side table. Switching on a small light in the corner, I settle down beside mom's bed.

She looks weak. And very pale. I still remember the look mom had on her face that night, on hearing about dad's death. She looked like all life had been sucked out of her. She has a somewhat similar look on her face just now too.

Two days ago, while shopping for grocery, Abhi had called to tell that mom had had a heart attack. I had left everything else, taken the first flight and rushed here.

Although mom's condition was stable now, she was still delicate. Doctors say stress is the main cause for this. Mom has not been taking care of herself and working for long hours has taken a toll on her health.

I feel I am responsible for mom being in this condition. She is lonely because I have left her alone for something very uncertain. Something I have done nothing about till now.

As I am examining mom's frail figure. My phone beeps. It's Nandini.

*hey! all ok? when are you coming back*

Nandini messaged once and called several times, the day after I came here. I have been ignoring her thoroughly.

I was just so pissed off at myself. Finding mom in this condition and knowing it's because of me, I so hate myself. I went to Mumbai with a purpose. But all I have done in the last two weeks is roam around a girl like a love sick puppy. I have done absolutely nothing! And here mom is, in so much pain. As I see numerous needles poking into her and her face covered in a mask, I hate myself even more.