{Chapter} 5

{Chapter 5}

Adam was stuck rounding up the remuda all by himself. Erik was back at the main ranch with his wife, and would be for two weeks, so that left Adam alone. Thankfully, he knew a little about horses, or he would be in big trouble.

Wade had told him a little about the permanent cowhands at the MC. Erik was the bronc buster, and knew more about horses than the rest of them combined. Rawhide was the oldest of the bunch, but tough as nails. Tiny was as big as an ox, but dumb as a box of rocks. J.T. had been with the outfit for nearly four years and had a past that no one ever talked about or even mentioned. Gringo was fairly new, having been with the MC for only a year and a half, but was part of the family. And Toni, well, everyone knew about Toni.

It was that uncle that got Adam nervous. The man was secretive, which was normal for any cowboy, but Mark was different. He was up to something, Adam could feel it. The fact that Mark was the trail boss on this drive didn’t set well with Adam, either. Especially since Toni was obviously not coming along.

That night, Adam lay in his bunk staring up at the ceiling. He was so tired he couldn’t sleep. The boys were making too much noise, anyway. They could make an average card game lively by simply talking.

“Wanna play, Sterling?” Gringo asked.

“Nah, I don’t gamble” Adam told him.

“Neither do we. We just do it for fun,” Tiny explained.

Adam didn’t see how they all moved around so easily after such a day’s work, but they somehow did. They all sat in a circle on the floor, surrounding a deck of cards.

“Come on, Sterling. Blow off some steam. There won’t be much more of it ‘til we get to Dodge after the drive,” Rawhide urged.

Adam sighed. “Very well.”

He sat in the circle and crossed his sore legs.

“Who’s gonna deal?” J.T. asked.

“I reckon it’s my turn” Tiny reached for the deck.

Rawhide stopped him. “Reckon since I’m the oldermost here, I should deal.”

“Oh, come on, Rawhide! You play that card every time on us,” Gringo groaned.

“I say the new feller should deal” J.T. said. “Since he don’t know his way around the game yet, there’s less a chance that he’ll get all slick fingered.”

All the cowboys looked at him. Adam shrugged.

“How many cards do we get?” he asked.

“We’re playin’ five card draw. So five cards” Rawhide said as if it were common sense.

Adam gave them each five cards and looked at his hand. Seemed like he should stick with two four of hearts and two five of spades. The others exchanged a few of their cards for the ones in the deck.

“What do you got?” Gringo asked Adam.

Adam laid his cards down so they could see.

“Two pair” Rawhide muttered. “I’ve got nothin’.”

“I’ve got one pair,” J.T. said.

“Nothin’” Gringo put his cards down.

“Royal flush” Tiny grinned.

The cowboys groaned.

They played a few more hands before deciding to retire for the night.

“Adam, I’m not much of one to ask about a man’s past, but what’s between you and little Miss Katie?” Rawhide asked before blowing out the lamp.