Ch. 12

Another scream came a few seconds after the first one and Zinnia and I took off to try and stop Ray from doing something stupid. We didn't know how many people were there, let alone armed. I was faster than Zinnia, even though I was running bare foot on jagged rocks that cut the bottom of my heels, but I needed to stop Ray. What he's doing is noble of him, but it can also get him hurt.

     Ahead of me was a teenage looking girl with soft skin as dark as the night around us on the ground, poorly holding back a middle aged strong man. It wasn't the violence that startled me, I've seen worse - it was the mans skin and hair color - they belonged to a pale winter citizen, there was no mistaking it.

     The two didn't notice us, or even hear our footsteps and heavy breathing over the girls piercing screams. I caught up to Ray and grabbed his arm back, but he shook me off and ran faster ahead before I got a chance to tell him to stop. Within a matter of seconds we caught up to the strangers, and Ray jumped on the winter man, causing them to roll off the girl.

     I turn around to Zinnia who was only a few steps behind me, "Give me your knife!,"I yelled and without questioning it she tossed me one, I caught it in the air. If this was a winter citizen then he had to be one of my mothers knights, and neither one of them could know of my new powers - My mother would probably kill me on site knowing that I was stronger than her now. With a weapon in my hand I ran off to where the boys were fighting.

     They were throwing punches till blood was oozing out of them. One second Ray had the upper hand, he nailed the winter citizen to the ground and held him steady as each punch landed on on his face. But then the knights strength proved to be better  than Rays adrenaline rush as he maneuvered Ray to the ground. He wrapped his white aging hands around Rays youthful neck and cut off his air supply.

     Ray's body was still convulsing in every movement to try and get his attacker off him, or not off him I realized as his right hand reached out. He was trying to get my dagger that was slightly out of his reach.

     The winter knight shifted his blue eyes to where Rays hand was stretched out and grabbed the dagger for himself, he aimed it high above his head, ready to stab him in the chest.

     "Stop," I whispered right into the knights ear, while I held the knife to his adams apple.

     He froze but he didn't show any signs of defeat, just like a true winter. No wonder my mother sent him, he was her fearless knight - I remember him now, Liam. She kept this one in her small council. He was always quiet, but he was never gentle.

     I reached over and took my dagger from his hand. "Now rise off this young man," I commanded.

     Ray was breathing heavily, getting as much oxygen as he could into his lungs while he kept his eyes on us. The knight slowly started to lift one leg off Ray, once he was no longer on top of him, he began to stand. 

     But of course his instincts to fight were strong, he quickly turned and made a grab for my throat with one hand and my dagger in the other. I was ready for him, for his attack and before he could even turn I anticipated his moves and I cut him forearm, hitting a vein causing him to bleed rapidly. The blood oozing out of him like watered down honey.

     It distracted him for a second, to look down at the wound, to inspect the damage. He didn't seem to care for the pain, not when his body tensed, ready to launch into me. Until he finally saw my face through his rage - and he froze.

     The temper in his face vanished and it was substituted with shock. His mouth was open as if he wanted to say something, but nothing came out. Then he did something that was expected of a knight to do when he saw me, he kneeled.