Wattpad Original
There are 4 more free parts

Chapter Eight: The Threat

I stared at Amelia's hand as she shamelessly caressed Tobias's leg. Should I say something? How did she have the audacity to do that with me right next to them?

I coughed loudly, trying to make it clear that I could see what was going on. But her hand just paused, and continued a moment later.

The buzz from my three drinks from earlier was still there, and I found my hand suddenly on Tobias's thigh as well. What was I doing?

I felt him stiffen and saw him frown, his eyes turning to me for a brief second. I started to move my hand up and down, just like Amelia, but his hand grasped mine before I could really do anything.

He placed my hand back on my lap and I felt an inkling of disappointment.

The dishes were served and I dug in to hide my embarrassment at getting rejected. I hadn't eaten since my feast on the plane.

When I was done I looked over at Amelia's plate. It was basically untouched. Either she didn't like food or she was too busy using her hands on something else.

Kyle, seated next to me, started making light conversation. He was flirty but still very funny and I found myself enjoying his company more and more.

"Do you want to go take a walk on the beach?" he asked me later on in the night.

"Sure."

He took my hand and pulled me along to the beautiful white sand beach, pointing out all the constellations to me.

"I can't see it!" I was starting to get frustrated. There was no tea kettle in the sky.

"Look, right there. That's the handle..." I zoned out again as he tried gratuitously to help me find the stupid constellation.

"How long have you known Tobias?" he asked me suddenly.

"Well, we're married, so..."

"Yeah, it's just... I've known the guy for a while. He was very, ah, single a month before you two tied the knot."

"I'm sorry, I don't see how our marriage is any of your business."

"I didn't mean to pry–"

"Well you're prying."

"Talia, you're an extraordinary girl. You shouldn't be trapped in a loveless marriage."

"What makes you think I am?"

"The fact that your husband was about to take Amelia to bed before we came across you. The fact that you two make next to no physical contact unless you have to. The fact–"

"This was a mistake. I'm going back inside." I got up, brushing the sand off my dress.

"Don't leave. It would really upset me if you left."

"Wow, because I care so much about whether I upset you or not."

"Tobias would care."

"No–"

"He would care when his billion-dollar deal falls through because his wife couldn't be nice to some guy."

I stared at him in disbelief. What the hell?

"Are you being serious?"

"Serious as a heart attack."

"I think Tobias would also care when he finds out his business partner is a blackmailing prick?"

"I think Tobias has his priorities straight."

Of course he did. And even if he didn't, he wouldn't care about me. He wouldn't defend me and I knew it.