Chapter 28

Her muscles weren't cooperating. It was weird.
She was trying so hard to open her eyes but the bloody lids wouldn't budge.
Open, She urged her eyes.
Missie groaned in frustration.
Then, as if she were submerged beep in the ocean and he was on the surface, she heard Newt's muffled voice, calling to her.
"Missie. Missie can you hear me love?"
She tried to tell him that she could indeed hear him and that her eyelids were just being stubborn, but her tongue wouldn't move either. Her mouth wouldn't even open.
What is this??? Revenge of the Abused Muscles?
She groaned again.
She heard Chuck's voice calling out, "Thomas is waking, too!"
Missie scrunched here eyes together with all her might (which, at the moment, wasn't much) and forced them open.
She breathed out in relief when her eyes were met by the sight of the wooden ceiling.
"Missie." Newt breathed.
Her eyes fell on him, beside her.
"Newt..."she murmured
"Oh Newt, I'm so sorry!" She threw her arms around him. "Uh...Missie..." He grunted, "a tad too tight there, love."
She pulled away with a sheepish smile.
Newt placed a hand on her cheek.
"Now what are you apologizing for, love?"
"Everything. It's all my fault."
"What's your fault?"
"You're going to hate me." Artemis decided.
"Artemis I won't hate you." Newt promised.
"You say that now "
Newt shook his head,
"No, you don't understand, I'm incapable of hating you. It's an impossibility, really."
He took her face in his hands.
"Tell me what's bothering you..."
Missie nodded, "First I need Thomas. Teresa, Alby and Minho, too."
"What for?" Newt wondered.
"I only wanna go through this once. I don't remember much. But what I do remember...it ain't pretty.
************************
Thomas had woken a little before Artemis and was at the kitchen. When he returned Artemis tackled him into a hug.
He squeezed her equally tight.
"Everywhere I go, you irritating rascal." Missie murmured into his shoulder.
He chuckled.
"It's a habit, Miss."
They pulled apart as Teresa entered.
Missie hugged Teresa, who, although confused, hugged back.
Alby, Minho and Newt cane a short while after. Missie stood away from them.
"Where's Gally?" She asked.
"Gone. We only had time to pull you away from...it." Minho replied.
"Did they come back?"
"Yes. Three boys gone."
Missie felt guilt welling up within her.
"Okay. Spill the beans, Mistress." Minho said.
Missie glanced at Thomas.
Rock paper scissors? Thomas asked.
Missie rolled her eyes.
"It's an experiment. Nothing's real. They're doing this to us...they need to find...something."
Thomas picked it up, "Not even our names are real. Were named after great people. Alby for Albert Einstein. Newt for Isaac Newton. I'm named for Thomas Edison..."
"Not counting the fact that I am above you all because I was named after a goddess." Missie mumbled.
"The goddess of hunting..." Thomas clarified.
"And the worst part. The horrible part..." Missie said, her voice barely above a whisper.
"We helped. We put you in here. We helped design the maze." She glanced at Teresa, "Resa, you too."
A thoughtful silence passed. Minho spoke first.
"I don't understand. If you're with them, why'd they send you in? It doesn't add up..."
"I don't know...they were running out of time." Thomas said.
Alby said, "What I don't  understand is you two."
Missie frowned.
"You didn't see what we saw," Newt said, "one of you get stung, but two of you fall?"
"Not to mention," Minho added, "the Changing. It was the weirdest thing. When you were moaning in pain Thomas was silent. But when Thomas was in pain you weren't. It was like..."
"Like we were sharing the pain..." Thomas said.
"We will explain that." Missie said, "but first, we need to get out of here."
Please comment...and vote. Sorry it took so long. I love you guys!
-Nica.