Chapter 13

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Last night had went not like I expected. Of course, in a sort of good way though. Max's parents had been extremely sweet and nurturing with Mia and me. After the utterly awkward question about a 'maybe' soon-to-come baby, Grace, Patrick, Max and I chatted for a while until Mia fell asleep and Max said our farewells. He helped me bring Mia back upstairs and had her car seat transferred back into my car before he left. I took Mia out of her dress, putting her into more suitable and comfy clothes for sleep. After taking care of her, I proceeded to get myself comfortable, knocking out as soon as the feel of my fluffy pillow and fresh sheets hit me.

This next few days were going to be hectic at the office. The release date of our project was near and everyone was working to their maximum, overdosing on stress. It was a little bit after midday and I really needed lunch otherwise I would end up passing out on my office. I gathered my purse from the cabinet in my office and headed downstairs.

"Julia, I'm heading out for lunch. If anyone comes or there's something else I have to do, please leave it in my desk and I'll get to it when I get back" I informed my secretary

"Will do"

"Would you like anything to eat or drink?" I asked, Julia and I weren't very close but I was friendly to every single one of my co-workers.

"No, thank you" She replied. Julia was a bit shy and quiet. She was more outgoing with the other secretaries which were her friends. She reminded me of myself when I was in college. However, Livie made sure I threw away that persona.

"Well, I'll be back in a bit"

As I made my way through the corridor full of offices, stress could be felt through the air. Everyone was trying their best and working their hardest like we always did before a launch. Before exiting the building, I noticed Braden. He was wearing a white shirt - the sleeves were rolled up up to his forearms - with black trousers and shoes. He was talking to one of our co-workers. As soon as Braden spotted me, I smiled. He excused himself and walked towards me.

"I see you didn't decide to become a stranger" I teased

"Well, I made a certain promise and said I wouldn't" Braden joked back "How are you?"

"Incredibly busy with the launching of the project. And you? I have to say I am surprised to see you here" I spoke

"I decided to help dad a bit. This time in the company is pretty overloaded with work and I guessed another pair of hands wouldn't be too bad"

"I have to agree with that" I said, then adding "I'm actually heading out for lunch. I wouldn't mind some company if you can come"

"Okay, okay. If you insist" Braden grinned, bringing his hands up in surrender. I contained my laugh as I playfully punched his arm and rolled my eyes.

Braden and I walked to a small deli near the offices. I ordered a bacon sandwich and coke. Braden ordered a ham and cheese sandwich and coke, as well. As we waited for our orders to arrive, Braden and I spoke about the project, his father's plan of how it was going to be, etc. Our level of anticipation was equally high. My chat with Braden was interrupted when my phone declared the arrival of a new text message.

Livie Harris: Just landed. Still up for lunch tomorrow? X

The smile that appeared on my face, knowing Livie was back, had Braden wondering who it was.

Absolutely! Can't wait to see you :D x

I put my phone back into my purse before saying, "Livie is back in New York."